Simple way to convert OST to PST manually
In this post, we will discuss the MS Outlook data file, the difference between OST to PST, why do we need to change OST to PST, how to convert OST to PST manually, and what is the best solution to change OST to PST for free.
In 1997, Microsoft launched the first version of MS Outlook, which was included in MS Office 97. It is a personal information manager. But most of the users use Outlook as an email application for sending and receiving mail, messages. Many users prefer Outlook for features and Support.
List of advanced features of MS Outlook
- Better meeting management
- Better time-zone management
- Bill pay reminders
- Amazing themes
- Better bcc management
- Faster email processing
- Customized calendars
Apart from these features, Outlook also supports Exchange and SharePoint servers. It uses OST and PST files to store all Outlook data items like emails, calendars, contacts, notes, journals, etc.
What is the OST file?
OST stands for Offline storage table. It is an offline folder file that allows the user to access and modify all the information offline. For example, if the Internet is not available, then you can still access previously downloaded emails, calendars, contacts, tasks, etc. You can read and compose new emails, add contacts, create notes, etc. Once the Internet connectivity is possible, then the changes will automatically sync with the Exchange server. Most account types, such as Office 365, IMAP, and Outlook.com accounts, use this file to store a copy of your mailbox on your local machine.
What is the PST file?
PST stands for Personal Storage Table. It stores all emails, contacts, and other Outlook data items and saves that data on the local machine. MS Outlook 2013, 2010, and below versions use the PST data file for IMAP accounts. The PST file is useful for taking backup or export items from any type of email account.
Difference between OST and PST
- OST file is a replica of the exchange server that stores a copy of the exchange mailbox on the local machine. It helps users to work without the Internet connection, whereas PST is a database that stores all the data on the local.
- OST supports only Exchange Server, whereas the PST can be used with the Exchange server but not recommended. But, PST is also compatible with other servers.
- The OST file is helpful for domains with limited Internet connectivity. However, such is not the case for PST.
Why do we need to change OST to PST file?
The OST file store all exchange data in an offline mode on the local machine. With the help of OST, the user can access all data on offline mode. When the user login his account, all data automatically synchronized and download into this. But sometimes the OST file becomes inaccessible. In such a situation user need to convert OST to PST file. However, there are many other reasons available that require OST to PST conversion.
Main reasons to convert OST to PST file
- Exchange server crash
- Deletion of exchange server account
- Data migration
- Backup exchange mailboxes
To convert OST to PST free, you can use free manual methods or third-party OST to PST Converter tool. Both are very helpful.
How to convert OST to PST manually?
Here, we will discuss the top two manual methods to convert OST to PST free. To execute these solutions methods, you must be connected to the Exchange server and have Outlook installed on your machine. But before implementing these methods, keep a backup.
Method 1: Export mailbox to PST file
Login Outlook with the MS Exchange account
- Go to File
- Select Open & Export
- Choose Import & Export from the options
- Select Export to a file from choose an action to perform and click Next.
- Select Outlook data file(.pst) from create a file type and click Next.
- Choose the folder you want to export and click Next.
- Set path for the file and also select do not export duplicate items
- Click on the Finish button
Method 2: Using the Archive to Convert OST to PST file
- Launch MS Outlook
- Go to File
- Select Options and choose Advanced
- Click on Auto Archive button
- Provide the number of days to run the Auto Archive
- Provide the location and click on the OK button
The above methods help you to convert OST to PST free. However, these techniques have some drawbacks.
- Risk of data loss
- Takes a lot of time
- Difficult to execute
The Simplest way to Convert OST to PST file
The SysCurve OST to PST Converter is an advanced conversion tool that converts OST to PST and saves your valuable time and effort. This software also repairs corrupted OST files. It recovers data from the damaged exchange OST file and converts all recovered data into a new PST file. Using this tool, you can also convert data into multiple file formats like PST, MSG, EML, and MBOX format. To convert OST to PST free, you can use the free demo version of OST converter tool. The demo version allows you to preview all items, and you can export the first 20 items from each folder.
Here, we discussed the Outlook data file and the best methods to convert OST to PST manually. However, we suggest you go with the OST to PST Converter. It will save time and provide you a secure conversion. We hope this post will help you.Back To Home