How to Import OST to Office 365 Mailbox?
In this post, we will discuss how to import OST to Office 365. We will also discuss the best manual methods to migrate OST file to Office 365.
In January 1997, Microsoft introduced MS Outlook with Office 97. It is a personal information manager. Although often used as a desktop email application. Microsoft uses OST (Offline Storage Table) and PST (Personal Storage Table) as data files. These data files store entire data on the local machines.
What is the OST file?
The OST file is a replica of the exchange mailbox. It allows users to access previously downloaded data with no Internet connection. Users can edit or change the data offline, and when the Internet is available, then data will sync with the mailbox automatically. The OST file supports only the Exchange server.
What is the PST file?
The PST file stores all items like email, contacts, calendars, etc. On your machine. This file also supports exchange but not recommended.
What OST to Office 365?
To avail the benefits of Microsoft Office 365, many big and small organizations want to import OST to Office 365 cloud platform, so they can universally access their data and avoid Exchange maintenance downtime.
Top 3 advantages of Office 365
Simple and Easy to Use - Microsoft Office 365 is simple and effortless. It allows you to select the tools you want. You can easily add the apps to your office 365 and can access them from anywhere. Using this, you can also access MS Outlook, Word, Excel, OneNote, and PowerPoint in a few clicks.
Collaboration - Microsoft Office 365 allows you to share docx, pptx, xlsx, etc. to other people. With the help of this feature, you can work with your team on the same file from different locations.
Anywhere, anytime access - With Office 365, you can easily access your file at any time, anywhere without much effort. Office 365 is easy to use even non-technical users can easily use and access.
How to migrate OST to Office 365?
Unfortunately, there are no direct methods available to migrate OST file to Office 365. To achieve this, you need to convert OST file to PST file format. To convert OST to PST file, you can try the manual methods or Syscurve OST to PST Converter. Both will easily convert your file to PST format. After that, you need to manually upload PST file to office 365. There are two ways you can import PST to Office 365.
Network Upload - In this method, you need to upload the converted PST files over the network to a temporary Azure storage location. Then use the Microsoft Office 365 Import service to import the PST data to mailboxes in your Office 365 organization.
Drive Shipping - In this method, you need to copy the converted PST files to a BitLocker-encrypted hard drive and then physically ship the drive to Microsoft. After that, Microsoft will receive your data, and then data center personnel upload the data to a temporary Azure storage location. Then you use the Office 365 Import service to import the PST data to mailboxes in your Office 365 organization. For this method, you need to pay some bugs.
Note: Please take a backup before trying any method.
Manual method to migrate OST file to Office 365To import OST to Office 365, first, we need to convert the OST file to PST file format, and then we will upload PST to Office 365.
Step 1: Convert OST to PST file format
- Open MS Outlook application
- Go to File option
- Select Open & Export option
- Click on the Import & Export option
- Select Export to a file and click Next button
- Select outlook data file (PST)
- Choose the folders you want to export and also select the checkbox to include sub-folders
- Set a location to export
- Click on Finish
Note: This export method works only if the user account is connected to the Exchange Server.
Step 2: Upload PST to Office 365 by using Network upload method
To perform this method, we need to assign the Mailbox Import Export role in Exchange Online to import PST to Office 365 mailboxes.
- Sign in to your Office 365 account
- Go to Admin Center of Exchange Server
- From the Exchange Admin Center window, select Permissions and double click on Organization Management.
- From the new pop-up, click the “+ sign” and select the Mailbox Import Export.
- Click on the Add and choose OK
- Now, select Mailbox Import Export again and choose Save
- Go to the Admin Center
- Select the Setup followed by Data Migration
- Click on the Upload file
- Select the New Import Job
- Type the job name and click on the Next. Use lowercase letters, numbers, hyphens, and underscores.
- Select Upload Your Data option from the Do you want to upload or ship data? Window and then click on Next
- On the Import data page, click on the Show network upload SAS URL
- Copy the displayed SAS URL
- Click on the Download Azure AzCopy to download and install the tool
- Go to the directory where you installed the AzCopy.exe tool
- Run the following command
AzCopy.exe /Source:<Location of PST files> /Dest:<SAS URL> /V:<Log file location> /Y
After running the command, it displays status messages.
- Create a CSV file that specifies which user mailboxes the PST files will be imported to. (Download sample CSV file)
- Go to Import data page and select I'm done uploading my files and I have access to the mapping file check boxes and click on the Next button
- On the Select, the mapping file window click on the +Select mapping file option and provide CSV mapping file
- Click on validate. After click on the validate file name is changed to green after it's successfully validated
- Click on the Save and Close
Step 2: Upload PST to Office 365 by using Drive Shipping method
In this method, you need to store the converted PST files into a hard drive on a file server or shared folder. Only 2.5-inch solid-state drives (SSDs) or 3.5-inch SATA II/III internal hard drives are supported for use with the Office 365 Import service. To perform this method, you need to follow many requirements which are available here.
By using these methods, you can import OST to Office 365 for free. But, it is a very lengthy process and took a good amount of time. This method requires technical expertise.
The simple way to migrate ost to office 365
To avoid these manual methods to convert OST to PST Office 365, choose the third-party OST to PST Converter software. There are many third-party solutions available, and SysCurve OST to PST Converter is one of them. It helps you to migrate OST to Office 365 Mailbox without any problem. The OST to Office 365 migration tool is very easy to use and does not require any commands. It quickly migrates your data items into office 365. The tool also works on inaccessible OST files and does not require technical expertise. But this functionality only available in business and enterprise licenses.Back To Home