Two Methods to Import OST to Office 365 - Step by Step
In 2011, Microsoft launched a subscription-based cloud service Office 365. In this program, Microsoft adds all your favorite applications like MS Word, Excel, Outlook, Lync, OneNote, PowerPoint, etc. With the help of this service, you can access data from anywhere at any time. After its release, many Exchange users started migrating their Exchange mailboxes to Office 365 accounts.
In this post, we will discuss the advantages of Office 365 and how you can easily import OST to Office 365. If you are also an Exchange user and willing to migrate OST to Office 365 cloud platform, then this blog will be perfect for you.
Top advantages of Office 365
Simple and Easy to Use - Office 365 is simple and very easy to use. You can select any tool which you want. Add MS Outlook, Word, Excel, OneNote, PowerPoint, and access them from anywhere in a few clicks.
Support Mobile - Now, you can access MS Word, Outlook, Excel, etc. on your smartphones. Office 365 supports Windows, Android, and IOS platforms.
Collaboration - Microsoft Office 365 provides the share option. With the help of this feature, you can share any file with your team.
Anywhere, anytime access - With Office 365, you can easily access your file at anytime, anywhere.
How to Import OST to Office 365?
To successfully perform OST to Office 365 migration, you can take the help of the manual or third-party solution. Here we will discuss both solutions to migrate OST to Office 365.
Import OST to Office 365 using Network Upload Method
In this method, you need to convert OST file to PST format, and after that, you can upload PST to Office 365.
Note: Please take a backup before trying any method.
Step 1: Convert OST file to PST
- Open MS Outlook and click on File option
- Select Open & Export option and choose Import & Export option
- Select Export to a file and click Next button
- Select outlook data file (PST)
- Choose the folders you want to export, select the checkbox to include sub-folders, and click on Next.
- Set a location to export and click on the Finish button.
Note: This export method works only if the user account is connected to the Exchange Server.
Step 2: Upload PST to Office 365
- Sign in to your Office 365 account
- Go to Admin Center of Exchange Server
- From the Exchange Admin Center window, select Permissions and double click on Organization Management.
- From the new pop-up, click the “+ sign” and select the Mailbox Import Export.
- Click on the Add and choose OK
- Now, select Mailbox Import Export again and choose Save
- Go to the Admin Center
- Select the Setup followed by Data Migration
- Click on the Upload file
- Select the New Import Job
- Type the job name and click on the Next. Use lowercase letters, numbers, hyphens, and underscores.
- Select Upload Your Data option from the Do you want to upload or ship data? Window and then click on Next
- On the Import data page, click on the Show network upload SAS URL
- Copy the displayed SAS URL
- Click on the Download Azure AzCopy to download and install the tool
- Go to the directory where you installed the AzCopy.exe tool
- Run the following command
AzCopy.exe /Source:<Location of PST files> /Dest:<SAS URL> /V:<Log file location> /Y
After running the command, it displays status messages.
- Create a CSV file that specifies which user mailboxes the PST files will be imported to. (Download sample CSV file)
- Go to Import data page and select I'm done uploading my files and I have access to the mapping file check boxes and click on the Next button
- On the Select, the mapping file window click on the +Select mapping file option and provide CSV mapping file
- Click on validate. After click on the validate file name is changed to green after it's successfully validated
- Click on the Save and Close
Note: This is method is long and complex. Unfortunately, there is no direct manual method available. For simple OST to Office 365 migration, choose SysCurve OST to PST Converter tool. It will easily import OST to Office 365 without hassle.
Import OST to Office 365 using OST to PST Converter
- Download and install the OST to PST Converter
- Click on Add File option, select OST file and click on OK
- After the loading process, the software will generate a complete preview of your data
- Now, Click on the Export option and choose either Export All Folders or Export Selected Folders option
- Select Office 365 as an Export option
- Set a location for the log file and click on the Next button
- From the Export to Office 365 window, select either Export to Primary Mailbox or In-place Archive Mailbox option
- Select create a New Folder option, provide a suitable name for the folder. (All data will store inside that folder) and Click on the Next button
- Finally, provide Office 365 login credentials and click on Sign in to start OST to Office 365 migration process.
- Once the process gets completed, check your Office 365 account.
Note: This functionality is available in business and enterprise licenses.
Other helpful features-
- Convert OST file to PST, MSG, EML, and MBOX format.
- Import OST to Office 365 and Live Exchange Server
- Advanced search and filter options for selective conversion
- Free OST to Office 365 migration for the first 20 items per folder.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to migrate OST to Office 365 manually?
To migrate OST to Office 365 manually, you need to convert OST file to PST format. After that, upload PST to Office 365 with the help of the Microsoft Network upload method. But this method is long and tedious.
What is the safest way to move OST to Office 365?
If you don’t have technical expertise, then third-party OST to Office 365 migration tool is best for you. This tool directly move OST to Office 365 cloud platform, no need to convert OST file to PST format.