How to Convert Thunderbird to Outlook - A Complete Guide
Mozilla Thunderbird and MS Outlook are the most preferred email clients. Many big and small organizations use Outlook as the default email application. On the other hand, Thunderbird is a free and secure email application.
In this post, we will compare Thunderbird and Outlook and discuss why you should migrate Mozilla Thunderbird to Outlook, and how to convert Thunderbird to Outlook. But before we start, let’s discuss Thunderbird and Outlook first.
It is an open-source email client developed by the Mozilla foundation. Thunderbird is also known as a chat client. With the help of this application, users can easily manage emails, chat, news feeds, etc. It is a local email application that provides some advanced features like quick search folders, message grouping, advanced message filtering. Thunderbird provides a user-friendly GUI, which makes it comfortable to work with. It allows multiple accounts configuration. Thunderbird email client supports add-ons that provide additional functionality. It offers many themes and supports IMAP, POP, and LDAP.
MS Outlook is a versatile personal information manager. But many users use Outlook as an email application for sending and receiving emails. It is a desktop-based application that uses OST and PST files to save emails, contacts, calendars, etc. on the local machine. Outlook support Exchange and SharePoint server, but the user can also use it as a standalone application. It supports multiple accounts and provides powerful spam filters. MS Outlook allows users to customize the theme's properties, and it also supports IMAP, POP, and LDAP. Apart from this, Outlook provides many powerful features.
Mozilla Thunderbird VS Outlook Comparison
|Mozilla Thunderbird||MS Outlook|
|Thunderbird is a free email client.||To use Outlook as an email client user needs to buy a license key.|
|Support Windows, MAC, and Unix OS.||Support Windows and MAC OS.|
|Store all data in the MBOX file format.||Use OST and PST files to save data.|
|Support IMAP, SMTP, POP protocols.||Support IMAP, SMTP, POP protocols.|
|Low security||High security|
|It does not support the Exchange server.||Support Exchange Server.|
|It does not support any mobile platform.||Support Android and Windows mobile.|
|It does not have a scheduling option.||Email scheduling available.|
Why should you migrate Thunderbird to Outlook?
For personal use, Mozilla Thunderbird is good. But it does not fulfill the professional users' requirement, and it is very slow. On the other hand, MS Outlook provides one of the best management system, high-level security, fast synchronization, and advanced features. Apart from this, it also supports Android and Windows Mobile.
Top 3 MS Outlook Features
Offline access: If you don’t have the Internet connection, then you can still read and respond to emails. Once the Internet connection is available, then the email will automatically send.
Better meeting management: With the help of Outlook, you can easily invite people to a meeting, and by using the Tracking button, you will know the invited attendees and their responses.
Better calendar: If you receive an appointment and meeting by email, then Outlook will automatically add those to your calendar.
Top 4 reasons to migrate Thunderbird to Outlook
Scheduling Option: Thunderbird does not provide a schedule option. On the other hand, Outlook offers one of the best email and calendar scheduling options.
Exchange Server: Thunderbird does not support the exchange server. If you want to use Exchange or SharePoint, then you need to migrate Thunderbird to Outlook.
Sync: Thunderbird is very slow on email sync, whereas MS Outlook is very fast.
Security: Outlook offers high-level security in comparison to Thunderbird.
Both email applications are best. But Outlook offers more powerful features than any other email client and fulfills user's needs. It also provides an easy-to-use user interface that provides a great user experience. That is why many users convert Thunderbird to Outlook.
Feature, security, fast synchronization all an all MS Outlook is better than Mozilla Thunderbird. So if you are a professional user, then convert Thunderbird to Outlook.
How to convert Thunderbird to Outlook?
You can use the following methods for conversion. The first method is divided into four parts, and the second one uses third-party software.
Method 1: Convert Thunderbird to Outlook using IMAP
For this method, you need a Gmail account. If you do not have an account in Gmail, then create a new account. To configure the Gmail account with Thunderbird, follow the below-mentioned steps.
Step 1: Enable IMAP Protocol from Gmail
1. Log your Gmail account, click on the settings icon, and select settings option
2. Click on forwarding and POP/ IMAP
3. Enable IMAP option
4. Click on save changes
Step 2: Allow less secure apps on Gmail
1. Go to https://myaccount.google.com/
2. Click on security
3. Select less secure app access
4. Enable less secure app access option
Step 3: Connect Thunderbird and Import MBOX to Gmail
1. Start Mozilla Thunderbird
2. Go to Tools and select Thunderbird Options
3. Click on account setting
4. Click on account actions
5. Select add mail account option
6. Fill your Name, Gmail ID, password and make sure to select remember password and click on Continue
7. Select IMAP (remote folders) and click on Done
8. On the left pane, select your Gmail account
9. Right-click on Gmail account and create a new folder
10. Provide a name and click on create folder button
11. Select your Thunderbird account and press Ctrl+A to select all emails
12. Right-click and select Copy
13. Select Gmail address and select the folder you just created
14. Check your Gmail folder
15. Go to your Gmail account and check the folder
16. Click on the folder to verify
Step 4: Configure Gmail to Outlook
1. Go to Outlook
2. Click on File option
3. Click on Account Settings and select Account settings
4. From the email tab, click on New
5. From add account window, provide your name, enter Gmail id, password, retype the password, and click on Next
6. After validation, you will get the successful screen. Click on Finish
7. Close Account settings window
8. Go to the left pane and click on Gmail address to view the mails
9. Congratulations! You successfully migrate Thunderbird to Outlook.
Note: This process is useful. You just need to follow these steps. But this method is very time consuming and tough to execute for a non-technical person.
Convert Thunderbird to Outlook using Third-party Software
Migrating data from one place to another is difficult. To make the process easier, you can try third-party SysCurve MBOX to PST Converter. It is one of the best tools that convert Thunderbird MBOX files to PST format and provides a secure conversion. With the help of this tool, you can export Thunderbird MBOX files to PST, MSG, EML, HTML, and RTF format.
1. Download and install MBOX to PST Converter. Launch the software and click on the Browse button to add MBOX files
2. The tool will quickly load your data and create a complete preview. You can click on any item to see the preview. (Optional)
3. Click on the Export option and select PST
4. Select other options as per your requirements set the path for exported PST, and click on the Export button.
5. Once the process completes, click on the Finish button.
You can also try the free version of the MBOX to PST Converter. The free demo version allows users to export the first 20 items per folder. With this software, you can also migrate thunderbird to Office 365. But this feature is available in Business and Enterprise license. To access the full features of this product, you need to purchase the license key.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there any simple method available to convert Thunderbird to Outlook?
Yes, if you have a very small data set, then go with the drag and drop method to migrate Thunderbird to Outlook. In this method, just drag any mail and drop the email to a desktop folder. All emails will convert into EML format. After that, you can easily access those emails in Outlook.
Can I convert Thunderbird to Outlook 2019 with this software?
Yes. After the Thunderbird to Outlook conversion, you can easily open the resultant PST file with any version of MS Outlook-like 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, etc.