How to import MBOX to Outlook?
In this post, we will discuss how to import MBOX files into Outlook PST. We will also discuss the pros and cons of the MBOX file, why do we need to import MBOX to PST, and what is the best manual method to import MBOX to Outlook PST format.
What is the MBOX file?
MBOX is the most common file. It is a unique file that saves emails in text and attachments in an encoded format on the hard drive. MBOX was used by Unix hosts. But now many major email clients support MBOX formats like Apple Mail, Mozilla Thunderbird, Eudora, SeaMonkey, Opera Mail, etc. It is a platform-dependent format. All MBOX email clients are desktop-based and save all their data on the local system.
What are the pros and cons of the MBOX file?
|MBOX is a plain text file.||It does not support MS Outlook.|
|It supports many email clients.||It holds messages in 7-bit ASCII text.|
|It saves attachments in encoded format.||It has file locking problems.|
Why do we need to import MBOX to Outlook PST?
There is not a particular reason behind this. It depends on user needs like, when users change from Mac to Windows machines, then they face the need to import their MBOX mailbox into PST file.
If you compare MS Outlook with any MBOX email client, then you will find that it is easy to use and offers many advanced features that fulfill user needs. It can be used as a standalone application or with the MS Exchange server and Sharepoint. Outlook uses OST and PST files to save all Outlook data items like emails, calendars, contacts, etc.
To avail of these benefits, many big and small organizations switching their emails to MS Outlook. But, It does not support the MBOX files. To access the MBOX data into MS Outlook, users need to import MBOX into Outlook supported PST format.
How to import MBOX file to Outlook for free?
You can use the manual methods to import MBOX to Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010, etc. But, this method is a bit complex, and it will take more time to export data. To avoid this method, you can choose the third-party MBOX to PST Converter. It will save time and effort.
Import Apple Mail MBOX to Outlook PST - Manual Method
This method helps you to export Apple Mail MBOX to Outlook. This method requires Apple Mail, Eudora, and Outlook Express on your system.
Step 1: Export mailbox data into MBOX file by using Apple Mail
- Start Apple Mail
- Go to File and select Import Mailboxes
- Select File in MBOX format from the Import dialog box and click on the Continue button.
- Set path and select it for importing
Step 2: Transferring Apple Mail file to Eudora
- Ensure that the MBOX file is with the MBX file extension. If not, rename it
- Move the file to C:\Documents and Settings\Application Data\Qualcomm\Eudora
- Start Eudora and open the MBOX file by double-clicking it
- Close Eudora
Step 3: Transferring Eudora to Outlook Express
- Start Outlook Express
- Go to File -> Import -> Messages
- Select Eudora from the list and click on the Next button.
- Browse the Eudora location where you saved the file
- Click OK -> Next -> Next -> Finish
Step 4: Exporting Outlook Express to Microsoft Outlook
- Start Outlook
- Go to File and select Open & Export
- Select Import and Export option
- Select Import Internet Mail and Addresses
- Click on the Next and select the Outlook Express option.
- Ensure that Import Mail option is checked
- Click on the Next button.
- Click on Finish
Import Thunderbird MBOX to Outlook PST Using IMAP - Manual Method
In this method, we will configure the Gmail account with Thunderbird. To execute this solution, you need a Gmail account. If you do not have the Gmail account, then create a new one.
Step 1: Enable the IMAP option
- Log into Gmail account.
- Click on the Setting icon and select Setting from the list.
- Select Forwarding and POP/IMAP option.
- Check IMAP, is on or not, if not enabled it.
Step 2: Configure Thunderbird
- Download and install Thunderbird.
- Enter Name, Email, Password, and select Remember password to open Thunderbird account.
- Click on Continue button to execute import MBOX to Outlook process.
- Select the IMAP (remote folders) checkbox and choose the Manual configuration process.
- Provide all information
- Click on the Re-test button
- If your information is correct, then the task will finish.
- Choose Create Account option
- Verify your Gmail account from Thunderbird
- Now, Drag & Drop MBOX files into Gmail inbox to import MBOX files into Outlook
Incoming: imap.gmail.com/ Port: Either 993 (SSL) or 143 (very infrequently 585)
Outgoing: smtp.gmail.com/ Port: Either 25 or 465 (SSL) (very infrequently 2525)
Step 3: Import MBOX to Outlook via Gmail
- Open Outlook
- Go to the File menu and select Add Account
- From the Add New Account window, select Manually configure server settings or additional server types and click on Next
- Select Internet Email and click on the Next
- Choose the IMAP option from the account type
- For the incoming server, enter imap.gmail.com
- For the outgoing server, enter smtp.gmail.com
- Click on More Settings
- From the Outgoing server tab, select My Outgoing Server (SMTP) requires authentication
- Now, select Use Same Settings As My Incoming Server
- Select Advanced tab
- Click OK to close the dialog box.
- Choose the Test account setting option
- Now, you will receive a message your account setting is correct
- Click on the Next button
|Incoming server (IMAP):||993|
|Use the following encrypted connection:||SSL|
|Outgoing server (SMTP):||587|
|Use the following encrypted connection:||TLS|
These manual methods are helpful to import MBOX to Outlook PST format. But these methods are quite a lengthy process and takes a lot of time to execute. To save time and efforts, try SysCurve MBOX Tool.
The best way to Import MBOX into Outlook
If you are looking for the best solution to import MBOX file into Outlook format, then choose MBOX to PST Converter tool. It will save your time and efforts. This software quickly acts on the MBOX files and convert MBOX to PST without any problem. With this advanced utility, you can import MBOX to Office 365 directly. But this option available in business and enterprise licenses.
Steps to run the MBOX to PST Converter
Open SysCurve MBOX to PST Converter and Click on Browse to Add Files/ Folders.
Click on any item to see preview along with attachments (Optional)
Click on the Export option to convert MBOX to Outlook PST.
From the Export window, select PST as Export Option. Set other options as per your requirement and click on the Export button.
Wait for the process to complete. After that, click on the Finish button.
Key features of SysCurve MBOX to PST Converter
- It allows you to convert MBOX to Outlook PST
- Supports MBOX files of over 20 email clients
- Displays all emails along with attachments before the conversion
- It allows you to export MBOX to MSG, EML, HTML, and RTF format
- Split large PST into manageable multiple PST
- Support Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013 and all below versions
- Compatible with all editions of Windows OS, including Windows 10
To Import MBOX file into Outlook for free, you can use the MBOX to PST Converter free demo version. It will display all items before the conversion, and you can export the first 20 items from each folder. To remove the limitation, you need to purchase the license key.Back To Home