Lotus Notes and MS Outlook are the most powerful email program. Many organizations use these email platforms for email communication. Both email clients are known for advanced features and high-level security.
In this post, we will discuss reasons behind Lotus Notes to Outlook migration, and how to convert Lotus Notes to Outlook. If you are looking for this migration, then this post will be helpful for you. But before we start, let’s discuss Lotus Notes and Outlook first.
Lotus Notes or IBM Notes is an enterprise email program. Many organizations use this application as their primary email platform. It is a desktop-based application that uses NSF files to save emails, contacts, address, etc. Lotus Notes supports the Domino server, and it uses POP3 and SMTP as standards-based mail protocols.
MS Outlook is a popular personal information manager. Many users use Outlook as their email program. It is known for its features, better management system, and simple user interface. Outlook uses OST and PST files to store user data like email, contacts, tasks, journals, calendars, etc. It also supports MS Exchange and SharePoint server.
Why should you migrate Lotus Notes to Outlook?
Lotus Notes is an expensive and complex email program. It comes with a non-user-friendly interface due to which it is difficult for a normal user. To run this program, the user requires technical expertise. On the other hand, MS Outlook provides a simple management system, fast synchronization, and advanced features. Outlook fulfills the personal and professional user’s requirements. It also supports Android and Windows Mobile.
How to convert Lotus Notes to Outlook?
To convert Lotus Notes to Outlook, we can try manual and third-party solutions. In this post, we will discuss both manual and third-party solutions.
Lotus Notes to Outlook Migration using Manual Method
The manual method is divided into two steps:
- Export Lotus Notes into an intermediate CSV file
- Import CSV file into MS Outlook
Export Lotus Notes into an intermediate CSV file
- Launch Lotus Notes or IBM Notes
- Go to the File > Open > IBM Notes Application or simply use CTRL+O
- From the Open Application windows, select Lotus Notes NSF and click on the Open button
- Go to the File menu and select the Export option
- Provide a location where you want to save the exported file
- Provide a File name, choose Comma Separated Value as Save as type
- Choose How Much to Export, Export Character Set, and Detail to Incorporate option from CSV Export Window. After that, click on the OK button.
Import CSV file into MS Outlook
- Launch MS Outlook
- Go to the File menu
- Select Open & Export and choose Import/Export
- From the Import and Export wizard, select Import from another program or file option, and click on the Next button
- Select Comma Separated Values option and click on the Next button/li>
- Click on the Browse button and select exported CSV file
- Choose the duplicate option as per your requirement and click on the Next button.
- Select a destination folder and click on the Next button
- Finally, click on the Finish button.
The manual method is helpful to import Lotus Notes to Outlook, but it imports only a single file at a time. This method is long and time-consuming. If you are looking for an instant and safe solution, then try SysCurve Lotus Notes to Outlook converter.
Convert NSF to PST using NSF Converter
Here we are going to use SysCurve NSF to PST Converter. It is one of the best tools that quickly convert Lotus Notes NSF to Outlook PST format. The tool is completely safe and provides a risk-free conversion. It also fixes Lotus Notes to Outlook migration issues.
- Download and install the software
- Launch SysCurve Lotus Notes to Outlook converter and click on the Add File
- Select NSF files and click on the OK button to start the loading process
- After the process, the software will generate a quick preview mode inside the software window. Select any item to see the message details (Optional)
- Click on the Export option and select all folders
- Choose Outlook data file (PST) as an Export option
- Provide a path to save the log file and set a destination path to save the resultant PST file
- Finally, click on the Export button to start Lotus Notes to Outlook conversion.
- Once the process gets completed, click on the OK button.
After the conversion, you can open the converted PST with any Outlook version like Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, etc.
With the help of this tool, you can convert Lotus Notes NSF to PST, MBOX, EML, HTML, and other file formats. The software also provides search and filter options, which helps users to perform the selective conversion. By using this utility, you can also migrate Lotus Notes to Office 365, but this feature is available in Business and Enterprise license.
The tool also comes with a free demo version. By using the free Lotus Notes to Outlook converter, you can convert the first 20 items per folder. To access the full features of this product, you need to purchase the license key.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to convert Lotus Notes to Outlook free?
To convert Lotus Notes to Outlook free, you can try manual solutions. However, the manual method is complex and requires technical expertise. If you have a small mailbox, then you can also try the free version of the SysCurve NSF converter. With the help of the NSF tool, you can export the first 20 items per folder.
How to transfer emails from Lotus Notes to Outlook 2016?
To transfer emails from Lotus Notes to Outlook 2016 or other versions, you can use manual and third-party NSF converter. Both solutions are very useful. However, third-party solutions are quick, safe, and reliable in comparison with manual solutions.
Can I convert NSF to PST without Lotus Notes?
No, the tool requires Lotus Notes installation on the client machine with an email account to convert NSF to PST format.