HCL Lotus Notes and Microsoft Outlook are world-class email clients. Many big and small organizations used these email clients as their default email programs. Both email programs provide the best performance, high-level security, and fulfill user needs. But recently, many users are migrating Lotus Notes to Outlook.
In this post, we will discuss the reasons behind Lotus Notes to Outlook conversion, why NSF to PST conversion is important, and how to convert NSF to PST. If you are also looking for the best way to perform this conversion, then this post will be very helpful for you.
What is Lotus Notes?
In 1989, Lotus Development Corporation developed Lotus Notes. It is a complete package that offers many business collaboration functions like Emails, To-Do, Calendars, Contact management, messaging, etc. In 1995, IBM bought Lotus that is why it is also known as IBM Notes or IBM Lotus Notes.
After the long run, HCL Technologies acquired this product in July 2019, and since, then it is known as HCL Notes. Lotus Notes use the NSF file to store all data. Sometimes NSF file is also known as the object-store. When Lotus Notes user modifies something, then all changes will be automatically reflected in the database, which later synchronized into the MDB file.
Why are users migrating Lotus Notes to Outlook?
Lotus Notes is a professional email platform, which provides many advanced features. But this email program is very complex for new users and it is very expensive. On the other hand, Outlook is easy to use, provides many advanced features, high-level security, and it is very cost-effective in comparison to Lotus Notes. To get the benefits of MS Outlook, many users are migrating Lotus Notes to Outlook.
Why NSF to PST conversion?
MS Outlook does not support the NSF file. To access Lotus Notes data in Outlook, the user needs to convert NSF to PST format. After that user can access all data in Outlook.
How to convert NSF to PST manually?
To convert NSF to PST manually, you can follow the manual methods. We divided the manual method into two steps:
- Export Lotus Notes NSF files into an intermediate CSV file
- Import CSV file into MS Outlook
Note: Please keep a backup before implementing these methods.
Step 1: Export Lotus Notes NSF files into an intermediate CSV file
- Launch HCL Notes
- Click on the File > Open > Lotus Notes Application
- In the Open Application window, select the required NSF file and click Open.
- Click on the File menu and click on the Export.
- Set the location and file name.
- From the file type list, select the Comma Separated Value
- Select the required options from the CSV Export dialogue box and click on the OK button.
- The exported data gets saved in a CSV file.
Step 2: Import CSV file into MS Outlook
- Open MS Outlook
- Click on the File menu and select Open & Export.
- Click on the Import and Export option.
- Choose Import from another program or file from the list and click on the Next button.
- Select Comma Separated Values as a file type and click on the Next button.
- Click on the browse button and select the exported CSV file path, which you created earlier and click on the Next button.
- Select the Outlook folder where you want to save data and click on the Next button.
- Select the checkbox and click on the Finish button.
Note: This technique is useful in certain circumstances. But, this method is tedious, and sometimes it fails to convert NSF to PST format. If it is not handled correctly, then it might cause corruption in the NSF file.
Convert NSF to PST using NSF Converter Tool
To perform this conversion, we are going to use SysCurve NSF to PST converter tool. This tool quickly processes and convert NSF file to PST format. However, the software requires Installed Lotus Notes on the local machine.
- Download and install the SysCurve NSF Converter.
- Launch the software and click on the Add file
- Select NSF files and click on OK
- After the loading process, the software will generate a complete preview mode. You can click on any item see the message (Optional)
- Click on the Export option and select Folders
- Select PST file format and set destination path to store resultant PST
- Click on the Export button to start NSF to PST conversion
- Finally, click on the Finish button.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to transfer emails from Lotus Notes to Outlook 2016?
If you are looking for a simple and instant solution, then go with third-party NSF to PST converter software. It will help you to perform NSF to PST conversion. After the conversion, you can open the resultant PST file with any version of MS Outlook, including 2019, 2016, 2013, etc.
Can I convert NSF to PST without Lotus Notes?
No, Lotus Notes installation is required. Without Lotus Notes, you cannot perform NSF to PST conversion.