In this post, we will discuss PST and why users convert PST files to other formats. You will also learn how to convert PST files manually. If you are looking for an easy way to perform PST file conversion, this post will help you.
What is a PST file?
PST is a popular file format developed by Microsoft. MS Outlook uses this file to store mailbox items such as emails, contacts, calendars, tasks, and journals. With its help, MS Outlook stores all the data on the local machine.
Why Convert PST files?
If a user wants to open or share emails outside of MS Outlook, the user has to convert PST files to different file formats. This is because no other email program than MS Outlook supports the PST file format.
In which format do users convert PST files?
The user performs PST file conversion based on their requirements. Most users convert PST to MBOX and EML formats because these are the most popular file formats supported by many email programs. For sharing purposes, users convert PST to MSG, HTML, and other file formats.
How to convert PST files?
There are many manual solutions available to convert PST files. You can also use a PST File converter to perform PST file conversion. Here you will learn how to convert PST files manually. We will also learn an easy way to change PST files to other formats using a third-party Outlook PST converter.
Instant Solution - SysCurve PST File Converter
Quickly convert PST files to EML, MBOX, MSG, HTML, and other file formats.
Method 1: Convert PST files using Google Takeout
If you want to convert PST files to MBOX format, try this method. With the help of this method, we will configure Gmail in Outlook and migrate emails from Outlook to Gmail. Then use Google Takeout to export all the emails to MBOX format. We have divided this process into five parts. Follow these steps to perform this method:
Step 1: Enable IMAP from Gmail
- Sign in Gmail
- Click on the Setting icon
- Select the Settings option
- Go to the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab
- Enable the IMAP option
- Click the Save Changes button.
Step 2: Generate App Password
- Go to the https://myaccount.google.com/
- Click the Security option and enable the two-step verification
- Click the Security option again and select the App password option
- Log in Gmail account again
- Select the Other (custom name) as an app option
- Enter Outlook Desktop and click the Generate button
- Copy the app password
Step 3: Configure Gmail in Outlook
- Launch MS Outlook and go to the File option
- Click the + Add Account button.
- Enter your name and Gmail email address
- Enter your App password and re-enter your App password
- Click the Next button to start the verification
- After the verification process, click the Finish button.
Step 4: Migrate emails from Outlook to Gmail
- Right-click on the Gmail mailbox and select the New Folder option
- Enter PST Data as a folder name and press the enter key
- Select the Outlook mailbox and right-click on the Outlook email folder you want to import
- Choose the Copy Folder option and select the PST Data folder that you created earlier and click the OK button
- Go to Gmail and refresh the page. You will find the PST Data folder moved to your Gmail accounts.
Step 5: Export emails from Gmail using Google Takeout
- Go to the Google Takeout (https://takeout.google.com/)
- From Create a new export, select the Deselect all option.
- Select Gmail and click on the Next Step button.
- In the Choose file type, frequency & destination section, choose Export once as a frequency.
- Select the file type as .zip and choose the file size split option as per your requirement
- Click the Create export button.
- Click the Create export button.
- Open the email and click the download link.
- After downloading, extract the .zip file, and you will find the MBOX file.
Note: This method takes a lot of time. It takes anywhere from a few hours to days.
Method 2: Convert PST files to EML using Mozilla Thunderbird
If you want to convert PST to EML format, try this method. Using this method, we will import PST to Mozilla Thunderbird. Then we will use Mozilla Thunderbird to export EML files. We have divided this process into two parts. Follow these steps to perform this method:
Note: To perform this method, you must have MS Outlook and Thunderbird installed on your machine.
Step 1: Import PST to Thunderbird
- In your machine, go to the Settings and select the Default Program option
- Click the Email and select MS Outlook (Desktop) from the Choose an app list
- Start Mozilla Thunderbird and click the Thunderbird menu icon
- Select the Tools and choose the Import option
- Select Import Everything or choose the Mail option as per your need and click the Next button
- From the select the type of file, select Outlook and click the Next button
- Click the Finish button to complete the process.
Step 2: Export EML from Thunderbird
- After importing PST file data, select the emails you want to convert.
- Right-click on the selected emails and select Save as an option
- Provide a location to save EML files and click the Select Folder button
- After that, Thunderbird will export selected emails.
Note: In some versions, this method does not work properly. To perform the PST file conversion, you need a third-party PST File Converter.
Method 3: Convert PST to MSG using Drag & Drop
If you want to convert PST to MSG format, try this method. With the help of this method, we will export MSG files using the Drag and Drop option. Follow these steps to perform this method:
- Launch MS Outlook
- Select the Inbox folder
- Select the emails you want to convert
- Start dragging selected emails and dropping them into a folder on your desktop
Method 4: Convert PST to HTML using Save As an option
If you want to convert PST email to HTML format, try this method. Using this method, we will use Outlook Save as an option to export HTML files. Follow these steps to perform this method:
- Launch MS Outlook
- Select the Inbox folder
- Select the email you want to convert
- Go to the File option and select Save as an option
- Choose HTML as save as a type
- Select a location where you want to save the HTML file and click on the Save button
With these manual solutions, you can convert PST files to other file formats. However, every manual solution has some drawbacks. Some manual processes are lengthy and require technical expertise, and some cannot convert multiple emails. If you're looking for an easier way to perform PST file conversion, try SysCurve Outlook PST Converter.
Method 5: Convert PST files using PST File Converter
Here, we are going to use the SysCurve PST File Converter tool. It is one of the best software that provides the best way to perform PST file conversion. With the help of the Outlook PST Converter, you can convert PST to MBOX, EML, MSG, EMLX, and other file formats. Follow these steps to perform this method:
- Download, install and open the SysCurve PST File Converter.
- Click the Add File option, select the PST files you want to convert, and click the OK button.
- After the loading process, the software will generate a preview mode. Select any item to see the message. (Optional)
- Click the Export option and select the folders you want to Export.
- Select the export file option as per your requirement
- Click the Browse button and provide a path to save the converted file.
- Click the Export button to start the PST file conversion.
Other Helpful Features
- Convert PST files to MBOX, EML, MSG, HTML, and other file formats.
- Preview PST file data.
- Save Individual emails to MSG, EML, HTML, MHTML, and RTF format.
- Migrate PST to Office 365 platform
- Perform selective conversion based on To, Cc, Bcc, Subject, and Date.
- Free PST file conversion for the first 20 items per folder.
- Support all versions of MS Outlook
- Compatible with Windows OS.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use this tool to convert PST files without Outlook?
Yes. Using the PST File Converter tool, you can convert PST files to EML, MBOX, MSG, HTML, EMLX, MHTML, and RTF file formats. The software works as a standalone application. This tool does not require MS Outlook to perform PST file conversion.
What is the best PST File Converter?
SysCurve PST File Converter is considered the best tool to perform PST file conversion. Using this Outlook PST Converter tool, you can quickly convert PST files to MBOX, EML, MSG, HTML, RTF, and other file formats.
Can I convert PST files online?
Yes. Various websites allow the user to perform PST file conversion online. You can choose any site to convert PST files online. But, the online process requires a stable internet connection. Many experts do not prefer this method because of the data security. If you are worried about your PST file data, this method is not for you. You can use SysCurve PST File Converter. It is a Windows-based application. This Outlook PST Converter does not require an internet connection. Most importantly, it's completely safe.
Can I use this software to import PST to Office 365?
Yes. With the help of the PST File Converter, you can migrate PST to Office 365 platform. However, this feature is available in business and enterprise versions of this software.
Does this tool come with a free demo version?
Yes. SysCurve PST File Converter tool comes with a free trial version. With the help of the Outlook PST Converter, you can view PST file data and perform PST file conversion. The software also allows users to export the first 20 items per folder.