Mozilla Thunderbird and MS Outlook are two most of the preferred email clients. Many users use these email applications as their default email program for sending and receiving emails. MS Outlook is mostly used by big and small organizations, whereas Thunderbird is used for personal use. MS Outlook is known for its advanced features and high-level security. To avail, the benefits of MS Outlook features, a lot of Thunderbird users are migrating to Outlook. But performing Thunderbird to Outlook migration is not that easy.
In this post, we will discuss the reasons behind Thunderbird to Outlook transfer and how to convert Thunderbird to Outlook. If you are looking for a simple way to import Thunderbird to Outlook, then this post will be helpful for you. But before we start, let’s compare Thunderbird and Outlook first.
Mozilla Thunderbird VS Outlook Comparison
|Mozilla Thunderbird||MS Outlook|
|Thunderbird is a free email client.||To use Outlook as an email client user needs to buy a license key.|
|Support Windows, MAC, and Unix OS.||Support Windows and MAC OS.|
|Store all data in the MBOX file format.||Use OST and PST files to save data.|
|Support IMAP, SMTP, POP protocols.||Support IMAP, SMTP, POP protocols.|
|Low security||High security|
|It does not support the Exchange server.||Support Exchange Server.|
|It does not support any mobile platform.||Support Android and Windows mobile.|
|It does not have a scheduling option.||Email scheduling available.|
Reasons Behind Thunderbird to Outlook Transfer
For personal use, Mozilla Thunderbird is a perfect application. But it does not fulfill the professional user's requirement, and it is slow as well. On the other hand, MS Outlook is known for the best management system, high-level security, fast synchronization, and advanced features. It supports SharePoint and MS Exchange server. Apart from this, you can use MS Outlook with Android, iOS, and Windows Mobile.
Outlook offers more features than any other email program. It also provides a simple user interface and a great user experience. To get all these benefits, many users migrate Thunderbird to Outlook.
How to Convert Thunderbird to Outlook?
To convert Thunderbird to Outlook, you can use manual and third-party solutions. Here we are going to use both methods to import Thunderbird to Outlook.
Convert Thunderbird to Outlook using IMAP
This method is divided into four parts. For this method, you need a Gmail account. If you do not have an account, then create a new one. To configure the Gmail account with Thunderbird, follow the below-mentioned steps.
Step 1: Enable IMAP Protocol from Gmail
1. Log in to your Gmail account, click on the settings icon, and select the settings option
2. Click on forwarding and POP/ IMAP
3. Enable IMAP option
4. Click on save changes
Step 2: Allow less secure apps on Gmail
1. Go to https://myaccount.google.com/
2. Click on security
3. Select less secure app access
4. Enable less secure app access option
Step 3: Connect Thunderbird and Import MBOX to Gmail
1. Start Mozilla Thunderbird
2. Go to Tools and select Thunderbird Options
3. Click on account setting
4. Click on account actions
5. Select add mail account option
6. Fill your Name, Gmail ID, password and make sure to select remember password and click on Continue
7. Select IMAP (remote folders) and click on Done
8. On the left pane, select your Gmail account
9. Right-click on Gmail account and create a new folder
10. Provide a name and click on the create folder button
11. Select your Thunderbird account and press Ctrl+A to select all emails
12. Right-click and select Copy
13. Select Gmail address and select the folder you just created
14. Check your Gmail folder
15. Go to your Gmail account and check the folder
16. Click on the folder to verify
Step 4: Configure Gmail to Outlook
1. Go to Outlook
2. Click on File option.
3. Click on Account Settings and select Account settings.
4. From the email tab, click on New.
5. From add account window, provide your name, enter Gmail id, password, retype the password, and click on Next.
6. After validation, you will get a successful screen. Click on Finish
7. Close Account settings window
8. Go to the left pane and click on Gmail address to view the mails.
9. Congratulations! You successfully migrate Thunderbird to Outlook.
Note: This process is useful. But this method is very time consuming and tough to execute for a non-technical person.
Convert Thunderbird to Outlook using Third-party Software
Migrating data from one place to another is difficult. To make the process easier, you can try third-party SysCurve MBOX to PST Converter. It is one of the best tools that convert Thunderbird MBOX to PST format and provides a secure conversion. With the help of this software, you can quickly migrate Thunderbird, Opera Mail, Apple Mail, Eudora, Claws Mail, etc. to Outlook.
1. Download and install the MBOX to PST Converter. Launch the software and click on the Browse button to select MBOX files
2. After the loading process, the tool will quickly load your data and create a complete preview. You can click on any item to see the preview. (Optional)
3. Click on the Export option, select folders, and choose PST (Outlook data file)
4. Provide a destination path where you want to store the converted PST, and click on the Export button.
5. Once the process gets complete, click on the Finish button.
Other Helpful Features of Thunderbird to Outlook Converter
- Convert Thunderbird MBOX to PST, EML, HTML, RTF, MSG, and other file formats.
- Generate quick preview mode inside the software window
- Maintain original hierarchy folder structure
- Migrate Thunderbird to Office 365 and Live Exchange Server
- Support more than 20 MBOX email clients
- Support MBOX, MBX, and MBS file formats
- Free Thunderbird to Outlook conversion for the first 20 items per folder
- Support all versions of Windows OS, including Windows 10
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there any simple method available to convert Thunderbird to Outlook?
Yes, if you have a small data set, then you can use the drag and drop method to migrate Thunderbird to Outlook. In this method, first select email, drag selected emails, and drop to a desktop folder. After that, all emails will convert into EML format, then after, you can open the EML files with MS Outlook.
Can I convert Thunderbird to Outlook 2019 with this software?
Yes, with the help of the Thunderbird to Outlook converter, you can quickly perform Thunderbird to Outlook conversion. After the conversion process, you can open the resultant PST files with any version of MS Outlook, including 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, etc.
Can I migrate Thunderbird to Office 365 with this software?
Yes, with the help of this software, you can easily migrate Thunderbird to Office 365. But this feature is available in the business and enterprise version of this software. To perform Thunderbird to Office 365 migration, you can also use the SysCurve MBOX to Office 365 Migrator. It is one of the best software that easily migrate Thunderbird email to Office 365 primary mailbox.
Is there any Thunderbird to Outlook converter freeware available?
No, there is no free tool available. But many tools come with a free demo version. If you want to migrate Thunderbird to Outlook free, then you can use the above mentioned manual method. But if you are looking for a quick solution, then you can go with SysCurve MBOX Converter. This tool is also equipped with the functionality of Thunderbird to Outlook converter.
Is there any security issue associated with this tool?
No, the Thunderbird to PST converter is safe. This tool is built with advanced algorithms, and there is no security breach.
What is the disadvantage of using the manual method to import Thunderbird to Outlook?
There are some disadvantages of the manual method. The manual solutions take a very long time. During the migration process, some images get broken, and emails lose their unique header.