Dec 03, 2021 | Email Conversion
How to Convert Thunderbird to Outlook - A Complete Guide
By Deepak Singh Bisht
Mozilla Thunderbird is an open-source cross-platform desktop-based email client for Windows, Linux, and Mac. Many organizations and individual users use it as their default email program for sending/receiving emails. It is also known for features like message management, add-ons, themes, and junk filtering. Despite this, many people are migrating email from Thunderbird to Outlook.
In this post, we will discuss the reason behind Thunderbird to Outlook transfer. We will also learn how to convert Thunderbird to Outlook. If you are looking for a simple solution, then this post will be helpful for you. But before we begin, let's first compare Thunderbird and Outlook.
Mozilla Thunderbird VS Outlook Comparison
|Mozilla Thunderbird||MS Outlook|
|Thunderbird is a free email client.||To use Outlook, the user must purchase a license key.|
|Support Windows, MAC, and Unix OS.||Support Windows and MAC OS.|
|It stores all the data in MBOX files.||It uses OST and PST files to save the data.|
|Support IMAP, SMTP, and POP protocols.||Support IMAP, SMTP, and POP protocols.|
|It does not support the Exchange server.||Support Exchange Server.|
|It does not support any mobile platform.||Support Android, iOS, and Windows mobile.|
|It does not have a scheduling option.||Email scheduling available.|
Reasons Behind Thunderbird to Outlook Transfer
Outlook is a popular email client developed by Microsoft. It is known for its user interface, high security, fast synchronization, and advanced features. Outlook also supports SharePoint and MS Exchange Server. To get all these benefits, many users migrate Thunderbird to Outlook.
How to Convert Thunderbird to Outlook?
To convert Thunderbird to Outlook, you can use manual methods and Thunderbird to Outlook Converter. Both are very helpful and effective. Here we are going to use both solutions to perform this migration. You can choose any as per your convenience.
Instant Solution - SysCurve MBOX to PST Converter
Quickly convert Thunderbird to PST, EML, HTML, MSG, RTF, and other file formats.
Method 1: Import Thunderbird to Outlook using IMAP
There are four parts to this method. You need to have a Gmail account for this method. If you don't have an account, create a new one. To import Thunderbird to Outlook, we need to configure Gmail in Thunderbird. After that, we will configure Gmail in Outlook. To perform this migration, follow the steps below.
Step 1: Enable IMAP Protocol from Gmail
1. Log in to your Gmail account, click on the settings icon, and select the settings option
2. Click on forwarding and POP/ IMAP
3. Enable IMAP option
4. Click on the save changes button.
Step 2: Allow less secure apps on Gmail
1. Go to https://myaccount.google.com/
2. Click on the Security option
3. Select less secure app access
4. Enable less secure app access option.
Step 3: Configure Gmail in Thunderbird and Import MBOX to Gmail
1. Start Mozilla Thunderbird.
2. Go to Tools and select Thunderbird Options
3. Click on the Account setting
4. Click on Account actions
5. Select add mail account option
6. Fill in your Name, Gmail ID, password and make sure to select remember password and click on Continue
7. Select IMAP (remote folders) and click on Done
8. On the left pane, select your Gmail account
9. Right-click on Gmail account and create a new folder
10. Provide a name and click on the create folder button
11. Select your Thunderbird account and press Ctrl+A to select all emails
12. Right-click and select Copy
13. Select Gmail address and select the folder you just created
14. Check your Gmail folder
15. Go to your Gmail account and check the folder
16. Click on the folder to verify
Step 4: Configure Gmail in Outlook
1. Launch MS Outlook.
2. Click on the File option.
3. Click on Account Settings and select Account settings.
4. From the email tab, click on New.
5. From add account window, provide your name, enter Gmail id, password, retype the password, and click on the Next button.
6. After validation, you will get a successful screen. Click on the Finish button.
7. Close Account settings window
8. Go to the left pane and click on Gmail address to view the mails.
9. Congratulations! You successfully migrate Thunderbird to Outlook.
With the help of this method, you can quickly migrate Thunderbird emails to Outlook. To perform this migration, you must have Outlook and Thunderbird installed on your machine.
Method 2: Export Thunderbird emails to Outlook using the Drag and Drop method
In this method, first, we will export Thunderbird emails to EML format. After that, we will import EML files to Outlook. This method is helpful for smaller mailboxes.
Step 1: Export Thunderbird emails to EML
- Open Mozilla Thunderbird
- Select the mailbox folder
- Select emails that you want to export. If you want to select all emails, then use Ctrl+A
- Right-click on the selected mail and choose Save As an option
- Select the folder where you want to save EML files.
- Click on the Save button to start the export process.
Step 2: Import EML files to Outlook
- Open MS Outlook
- Select the mailbox
- Right-click on the selected mailbox and select the New Folder option
- Right-click on the selected mail and choose Save As an option
- Give the folder a name and click on the folder
- Go to EML Folder, select EML files, and start drag and drop them to folder.
This method is simple, but it is only helpful for a small mailbox. When importing a large mailbox, the Email client freezes. If you are looking for a simple way to perform this migration, you can try a third-party Thunderbird to Outlook converter. With the help of this tool, you can convert Thunderbird email to Outlook PST quickly. After that, you can open PST with Outlook.
Method 3: Convert Thunderbird to Outlook using Thunderbird to Outlook Converter
In this method, we are going to use SysCurve MBOX to PST Converter. It is a powerful tool that provides the best way to convert Thunderbird to PST format. With the help of this tool, you can also converts and export Thunderbird emails to EML, MSG, HTML, and RTF format. To export Thunderbird to Outlook, follow the steps below.
- Download and install the MBOX to PST Converter.
- Launch the software and click on the Browse button to select MBOX files
- After the loading process, the tool will quickly load your data and create a complete preview. You can click on any item to see the preview. (Optional)
- Click on the Export option and select folders that you want to export.
- Choose PST (Outlook data file) and provide a destination path where you want to save PST.
- Click on the Export button to start Thunderbird to PST conversion.
- Once the process gets complete, click on the Finish button.
After the conversion process, you can open PST with any version of MS Outlook. This method is considered the best way to transfer Thunderbird to Outlook.
Other helpful features
- Convert Thunderbird to PST, EML, HTML, RTF, MSG, and other file formats.
- Generate quick preview mode inside the software window.
- Maintain original hierarchy folder structure.
- Migrate Thunderbird to Office 365 and Live Exchange Server.
- Support more than 20 MBOX email clients.
- Support MBOX, MBX, and MBS file formats.
- Free Thunderbird to Outlook conversion for the first 20 items.
- Support all versions of Windows OS, including Windows 10.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I import local folders from Thunderbird to Outlook?
To import local folders from Thunderbird to Outlook, you can try manual and third-party solutions. Both can perform this task, but manual solutions take a lot of time. On the other hand, Thunderbird to PST converter quickly converts Thunderbird MBOX files to PST format. After that, you can open the converted file with Outlook.
What is the best Thunderbird to Outlook converter?
There are many tools available that convert and export Thunderbird emails to Outlook PST format. But I like SysCurve MBOX Converter. This tool is equipped with all functionality of the Thunderbird to Outlook converter. With the help of this tool, you can convert and export Thunderbird emails to Outlook PST, MSG, EML, HTML, and other file formats. It comes with a free trial version that allows users to export the first 20 items for free.
How do I Convert Thunderbird to PST?
With the help of the SysCurve MBOX to PST converter, you can convert Thunderbird to PST. After the conversion, you can open the resultant PST files with any version of MS Outlook, including 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, etc.
Can I migrate Thunderbird to Office 365 with this software?
Yes, with the help of this software, you can migrate Thunderbird to Office 365 cloud platform. But this feature is available in Business and Enterprise versions of this software. To perform Thunderbird to Office 365 migration, you can also use SysCurve MBOX to Office 365 Migrator. It is one of the best software that migrates Thunderbird email to Office 365 primary mailbox quickly.