Dec 03, 2021 | Email Conversion
How to Repair OST File – A Complete Guide
By Deepak Singh Bisht
OST or Offline Storage Table is an offline folder file. The exchange server uses this file to store a copy of the exchange mailbox on the local machine. With the help of the OST, you can access the previously download emails, contacts, calendars, etc. in offline mode. You can also create new emails, meetings, etc. without an internet connection. Whenever the internet connectivity is possible, then all changes will automatically sync with the Exchange server. The OST file is useful, but it is a sensitive file and easily gets inaccessible or corrupt.
In this post, we will learn top methods to repair OST files. If you are looking for a simple solution to repair OST file, then this post will be helpful for you.
Instant Solution - SysCurve OST to PST Converter
Repair and convert OST to PST, MBOX, EML, MSG, and other file formats.
Method 1: Repair OST file using OST repair tool
Here we are going to use Scanpst.exe. It is also known as the Outlook Inbox Repair Tool. Scanpst.exe is a reliable tool, and it works for both OST and PST files. With the help of this application, you can repair damaged and corrupted OST and PST files. This feature is available in MS Outlook 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016, and 2019.
Note: Before start the inbox repair tool, create a backup.
- Close MS Outlook and go to one of the following file locations
- Outlook 2019: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16
- Outlook 2016: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16
- Outlook 2013: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15
- Outlook 2010: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14
- Outlook 2007: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12
- Open Scanpst.exe
- Click on the browse button
- Select the Outlook data file which you want to repair and click on the Start button
- Select Make backup of scanned file before repairing checkbox
- Click on the Repair button
After the process, you might see the Recovered Personal Folders or Lost and Found folder. These folders contain your missing folders and items. To place the items in the original folder structure, you can select items, and after that, drag the selected items and drop to the original folders.
Method 2: Delete and recreate the OST file
If you are using MS Exchange and you are connected to the MS Exchange server, then this method will be very helpful for you.
- Make sure the email app is closed.
- Open Control Panel
- Select User Accounts
- Click on the Mail option.
- In the Mail Setup screen, click on the Show Profiles button.
- Select Outlook and click on the Properties button.
- Click on the Email Accounts button.
- In the account settings screen, select the Data Files tab
- Select the account and click on the Open File Location button.
- Close Mail, Mail Setup, and Account Settings screen
- Delete the damaged OST file
- Open MS Outlook
After this process, MS Outlook will automatically recreate the OST file.
Note: This method pulls data from the MS Exchange server. It cannot restore Outlook items that you created in Offline mode and was not synched with MS Exchange.
Method 3: Repair OST file using OST to PST Converter
Here we are going to use SysCurve OST to PST Converter software. It is one of the best software, which easily repair damaged OST file and convert OST to PST format.
- Download and install the software
- Click on the Add file and select the OST file which you want to repair
- Click on the Scan button and click on the OK button
- After the process, the software will generate a preview mode inside the software
- Click on the Export and choose the Export All folders option
- Select PST (Outlook data file) as an Export option and provide a destination path
- Click on the Next button to start the conversion process
After the process, you can open the converted PST file with MS Outlook.
Other helpful features
- Repair & Convert OST to PST, EML, MBOX, HTML, RTF, and other file formats
- Migrate OST to Office 365 and Live Exchange server
- Maintain original hierarchy folder structure
- Perform selective conversion based on To, From, Subject, Cc, Date range, etc.
- Free conversion or migration for the first 20 items per folder
- Support Windows OS and all versions of MS Outlook
Frequently Asked Questions
How to repair OST file in Outlook 2013?
To repair OST file in Outlook 2013, you can use the manual methods or third-party software. If you are searching for an easy solution, then I would recommend SysCurve OST Converter. It is one of the most preferred tools. This software quickly acts on the OST file and recovers all data. After that, you can convert recovered data into PST format.
Can I repair OST file without Outlook?
Yes, with the help of the SysCurve OST Converter tool, you can easily repair OST file and convert recovered data to PST format. This software does not require MS Outlook to repair OST file.