In this post, we will discuss the MBOX file and its pros and cons. We will also discuss the reason behind import MBOX to Outlook and how to import MBOX into Outlook. If you are looking for a simple solution, then this post will be helpful for you.
What is the MBOX file?
MBOX is the most common file. It is a unique file that saves emails in text and attachments in an encoded format. Major email clients like Apple Mail, Mozilla Thunderbird, Eudora support MBOX format. It is a platform-dependent format. All MBOX email clients are desktop-based and save all their data on the local system.
What are the pros and cons of the MBOX file?
|MBOX is a plain text file.||It does not support MS Outlook.|
|It supports many email clients.||It holds messages in 7-bit ASCII text.|
|It saves attachments in encoded format.||It has file locking problems.|
Reasons behind import MBOX to Outlook
MS Outlook is a popular personal information manager. Many organizations and individual users use it as their default email program for sending/receiving emails. Outlook is known for its user interface, better management system, and high level of security. To take advantage of these features, users import MBOX into Outlook.
There are many other reasons like a job change, data migration, etc. For these reasons also, users import MBOX files into Outlook.
How to import MBOX to Outlook?
To import MBOX into Outlook, you can use manual methods or a third-party MBOX to Outlook Converter. Here, we will try both manual and third-party solutions to perform this migration process.
Note: Take a backup of the MBOX files before using these methods.
Instant Solution - SysCurve MBOX to PST Converter
Quickly convert MBOX to PST, EML, HTML, MSG, RTF, and other file formats.
Method 1: Import MBOX to Outlook using Apple Mail
There are four parts to this method. In this method, we will import Apple Mail MBOX files to Outlook. To perform this method, you must have Apple Mail, Eudora, Outlook Express, Outlook installed on your machine. To execute this method, follow the steps below.
Step 1: Export mailbox data into MBOX file by using Apple Mail
- Start Apple Mail
- Go to the File and select Import Mailboxes
- Select File in MBOX format from the Import dialog box and click on the Continue button.
- Set path and select it for importing
Step 2: Transferring Apple Mail file to Eudora
- Ensure that the MBOX file is with the MBX file extension. If not, rename it
- Move the file to C:\Documents and Settings\Application Data\Qualcomm\Eudora
- Start Eudora and open the MBOX file by double-clicking it
- Close Eudora
Step 3: Transferring Eudora to Outlook Express
- Start Outlook Express
- Go to File -> Import -> Messages
- Select Eudora from the list and click on the Next button.
- Browse the Eudora location where you saved the files.
- Click OK -> Next -> Next -> Finish
Step 4: Exporting Outlook Express to Microsoft Outlook
- Start Outlook
- Go to the File and select Open & Export
- Select Import/Export option
- Select Import Internet Mail and Addresses
- Click on the Next and select the Outlook Express option.
- Ensure that the Import Mail option is checked
- Click on the Next button.
- Click on the Finish button.
Method 2: Import MBOX to Outlook using Thunderbird
In this method, we will import MBOX files to Thunderbird. After importing MBOX, we will configure Gmail in Thunderbird, and after that, we will configure the same Gmail account in Outlook. To perform this method, you need a Gmail account. If you do not have a Gmail account, then create a new one.
Step 1: Import MBOX to Thunderbird
- Launch Thunderbird.
- Install ImportExportTools NG add-on and Restart Thunderbird
- Right-click on the Local Folders and select ImportExportTools NG
- Select Import MBOX file, choose Import directly one or more MBOX files, and click on the OK button.
- Select MBOX files that you want to import and click on the Open button.
Step 2: Enable the IMAP option
- Log into Gmail account.
- Click on the Setting icon and select Setting from the list.
- Select Forwarding and POP/IMAP option.
- Check IMAP is on or not. If not, then enable IMAP.
Step 3: Allow Less Secure App
- Go to the Google Account
- Click on the Security and select Less secure app access
- Enable Less secure app
Step 4: Configure Thunderbird
- Open Thunderbird and go to the Tools
- Select Options and click on Account Settings
- Select Account Actions and choose Add Mail Account
- Enter Name, Email, Password, and select Remember password to open Thunderbird account.
- Click on the Continue button, select the IMAP (remote folders) and click on the Done button
- Select Gmail account and create a New Folder
- Give Folder a name and click on the Create Folder button
- Go to the Local Folders where you saved the MBOX file
- Select all emails and right-click on the selected email
- Select Copy To option, choose Gmail account, and select Folder which you created
Step 5: Import MBOX to Outlook via Gmail
- Open Outlook
- Go to the File menu and select Add Account
- Enter Name, Email, Password, Retype password, and click on the Next button.
- Once the account is verified, click on the Finish button.
- Click on the Close button and check your Emails.
With the help of the above methods, you can import MBOX to Outlook for free. But, these techniques require technical expertise. If you are looking for a simple solution, then you can try MBOX to Outlook Converter. Using this tool, you can save time and effort.
Method 3: Import MBOX to Outlook using MBOX to Outlook Converter
Here we are going to use the SysCurve MBOX to Outlook Converter. With the help of this tool, you can convert MBOX files to PST format. After the conversion, you can open the converted PST file with any Outlook version.
- Download and install the MBOX to Outlook converter
- Open the software and click on the Browse button to Add Files
- Click on the OK button to start the loading process.
- After the loading process, click on any item to see a preview along with attachments (Optional)
- Click on the Export option and select Folders that you want to convert.
- Select PST (Outlook data file) as an Export Option and provide a location where you want to save the converted PST
- Click on the Export button to start MBOX to Outlook conversion.
- Once the process complete, click on the Finish button.
Other helpful features
- Convert MBOX to PST, EML, MSG, HTML, and RTF format
- Maintain original hierarchy folder structure.
- Support MBOX files of over 20 email clients
- Preview all emails along with attachments
- Support MBOX, MBX, and MBS format
- Perform selective conversion based on To, Cc, Bcc, Subject, From, and Date.
- Import MBOX to Outlook 365 and Live Exchange Server
- Free MBOX to Outlook conversion for the first 20 items
- Support MS Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013 and all below versions
- Compatible with all editions of Windows OS, including Windows 10
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I open MBOX files in Outlook?
No. You cannot open MBOX files in Outlook because Outlook does not support MBOX files. To Open MBOX files, you have to convert MBOX to PST or EML format.
How do I import MBOX files into Outlook for free?
To import MBOX files into Outlook for free, you can use the above-mentioned manual methods. However, manual solutions require technical expertise. If you do not have a technical background, then go with MBOX to Outlook Converter.
Can I import MBOX to Outlook 365 with this software?
Yes. With the help of this tool, you can import MBOX to Outlook 365 cloud platform. This software also comes with a free demo version, which allows you to migrate the first 20 items for free.
How to import MBOX to Outlook 2016?
To import MBOX to Outlook 2016, you can try MBOX to Outlook Converter. With the help of this tool, you can convert MBOX files to PST format. After that, you can open converted PST with Outlook.
Can I convert Apple Mail to Outlook using this tool?
Yes. You can convert Apple Mail MBOX files to Outlook PST. After that, you can open the converted PST with Outlook. With the help of this tool, you can also convert and export Apple Mail MBOX files to EML, MSG, HTML, and other file formats.
Can I import MBOX to Outlook Mac OS with this tool?
No. This software does not support Mac OS. But, you can use the manual solutions to import MBOX to Outlook Mac OS.