In this post, we will discuss how to import MBOX file to Outlook 2019. We will also discuss the pros and cons of the MBOX file, why users import MBOX into Outlook, and how to import MBOX file to Outlook PST format. If you are looking for a simple solution, this post will be helpful for you.
What is the MBOX file?
MBOX is the most common file. It is a unique file that saves emails in text and attachments in an encoded format on the hard drive. MBOX was used by Unix hosts. But now, many major email clients support MBOX formats like Apple Mail, Mozilla Thunderbird, Eudora, SeaMonkey, Opera Mail, etc. It is a platform-dependent format. All MBOX email clients are desktop-based and save all their data on the local system.
What are the pros and cons of the MBOX file?
|MBOX is a plain text file.||It does not support MS Outlook.|
|It supports many email clients.||It holds messages in 7-bit ASCII text.|
|It saves attachments in encoded format.||It has file locking problems.|
Reasons behind import MBOX to Outlook
Nowadays, Users are looking for more features, and easiness that make life easier. If you compare MS Outlook with any MBOX email client, you will find that it is easy to use and offers many advanced features that fulfill user needs. Users can use Outlook as a standalone application or with the MS Exchange server and SharePoint. To avail of these benefits, many users are switching their emails to MS Outlook.
But, MS Outlook does not support the MBOX files. To access the MBOX files into Outlook, users need to import MBOX into Outlook-supported files format.
How to import MBOX to Outlook 2019 for free?
To import MBOX file to Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, or blow version for free, you can use the manual methods. But, these methods are long and complex. If you are not a tech expert, then choose the third-party MBOX to Outlook Converter. It will save time, effort, and most importantly it will import MBOX files to Outlook without data loss.
Instant Solution - SysCurve MBOX to PST Converter
Quickly convert MBOX to PST, EML, HTML, MSG, RTF, and other file formats.
Import Apple Mail MBOX to Outlook - Manual Method
By using this method, you can easily export Apple Mail MBOX to Outlook. This method requires Apple Mail, Eudora, and Outlook Express on your system.
Step 1: Export mailbox data into MBOX file by using Apple Mail
- Start Apple Mail
- Go to the File and select Import Mailboxes
- Select File in MBOX format from the Import dialog box and click on the Continue button.
- Set path and select it for importing
Step 2: Transferring Apple Mail file to Eudora
- Ensure that the MBOX file is with the MBX file extension. If not, rename it
- Move the file to C:\Documents and Settings\Application Data\Qualcomm\Eudora
- Start Eudora and open the MBOX file by double-clicking it
- Close Eudora
Step 3: Transferring Eudora to Outlook Express
- Start Outlook Express
- Go to File -> Import -> Messages
- Select Eudora from the list and click on the Next button.
- Browse the Eudora location where you saved the files.
- Click OK -> Next -> Next -> Finish
Step 4: Exporting Outlook Express to Microsoft Outlook
- Start Outlook
- Go to the File and select Open & Export
- Select Import/Export option
- Select Import Internet Mail and Addresses
- Click on the Next and select the Outlook Express option.
- Ensure that the Import Mail option is checked
- Click on the Next button.
- Click on the Finish button.
Import Thunderbird to Outlook Using IMAP - Manual Method
In this method, we will configure the Gmail account with Thunderbird. To perform this method, you need a Gmail account. If you do not have the Gmail account, then create a new one.
Step 1: Enable the IMAP option
- Log into Gmail account.
- Click on the Setting icon and select Setting from the list.
- Select Forwarding and POP/IMAP option.
- Check IMAP is on or not. If not, then enable IMAP.
Step 2: Configure Thunderbird
- Download and install Thunderbird.
- Enter Name, Email, Password, and select Remember password to open Thunderbird account.
- Click on Continue button to execute import MBOX to Outlook process.
- Select the IMAP (remote folders) checkbox and choose the Manual configuration process.
- Provide all information
- Click on the Re-test button
- If your information is correct, then the task will finish.
- Choose Create Account option
- Verify your Gmail account from Thunderbird
- Now, Drag & Drop MBOX files into Gmail inbox to import MBOX files into Outlook
Incoming: imap.gmail.com/ Port: Either 993 (SSL) or 143 (very infrequently 585)
Outgoing: smtp.gmail.com/ Port: Either 25 or 465 (SSL) (very infrequently 2525)
Step 3: Import MBOX to Outlook via Gmail
- Open Outlook
- Go to the File menu and select Add Account
- From the Add New Account window, select Manually configure server settings or additional server types and click on Next
- Select Internet Email and click on the Next
- Choose the IMAP option from the account type
- For the incoming server, enter imap.gmail.com
- For the outgoing server, enter smtp.gmail.com
- Click on More Settings
- From the Outgoing server tab, select My Outgoing Server (SMTP) requires authentication
- Now, select Use Same Settings As My Incoming Server
- Select Advanced tab
- Click OK to close the dialog box.
- Choose the Test account setting option
- Now, you will receive a message your account setting is correct
- Click on the Next button
|Incoming server (IMAP):||993|
|Use the following encrypted connection:||SSL|
|Outgoing server (SMTP):||587|
|Use the following encrypted connection:||TLS|
These manual methods are very helpful and easily import MBOX to Outlook. But these methods are long and require technical expertise.
The best way to Import MBOX into Outlook
If you are looking for the best solution to import MBOX file to Outlook format, then choose SysCurve MBOX to Outlook Converter. It will save your time and efforts. This software quickly acts on the MBOX files and convert MBOX to PST without any problem. With this advanced utility, you can also import MBOX to Office 365 directly. But this option available in business and enterprise licenses.
Steps to run the MBOX to Outlook Converter
Open SysCurve tool and Click on Browse to Add Files/ Folders.
Click on any item to see preview along with attachments (Optional)
Click on the Export option to convert MBOX to Outlook PST.
From the Export window, select PST as Export Option. Set other options as per your requirement and click on the Export button.
Wait for the process to complete. After that, click on the Finish button.
Other helpful features
- Convert MBOX to PST, EML, MSG, HTML, and RTF format
- Maintain original hierarchy folder structure.
- Support MBOX files of over 20 email clients
- Preview all emails along with attachments
- Support MBOX, MBX, and MBS format
- Perform selective conversion based on To, Cc, Bcc, Subject, From, and Date.
- Import MBOX to Outlook 365 and Live Exchange Server
- Free MBOX to Outlook conversion for the first 20 items
- Support MS Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013 and all below versions
- Compatible with all editions of Windows OS, including Windows 10
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I open MBOX files in Outlook?
No. You cannot open MBOX files in Outlook because Outlook does not support MBOX files. To Open MBOX files, you have to convert MBOX to PST or EML format.
How to Import MBOX to Outlook using manual methods?
There are many manual methods available. If you are using Apple Mail, Thunderbird, then you can go with the above-mentioned methods. But if you are looking for the instant solution, then choose third-party MBOX to Outlook converter.
Can I import MBOX to Outlook 365 with this software?
Yes. With the help of this tool, you can import MBOX to Outlook 365 cloud platform. This software also comes with a free demo version, which allows you to migrate the first 20 items for free.
How to import MBOX to Outlook 2016?
To import MBOX to Outlook 2016, you can try MBOX to Outlook Converter. With the help of this tool, you can convert MBOX files to PST format. After that, you can open converted PST with Outlook.
Can I convert Apple Mail to Outlook using this tool?
Yes. You can convert Apple Mail MBOX files to Outlook PST. After that, you can open the converted PST with Outlook. With the help of this tool, you can also convert and export Apple Mail MBOX files to EML, MSG, HTML, and other file formats.
Will I be able to import MBOX to Outlook Mac OS using this MBOX converter?
No, this software support only Windows OS. However, you can use the manual solutions to import MBOX to Outlook Mac OS.