How to Open Outlook in Safe Mode - A Complete Guide
Jun 10, 2021 | Posted by: Deepak Singh Bisht
MS Outlook is one of the best email clients. Many organizations use it as their default email client for sending/receiving emails. Outlook is known for its advanced features and high level of security. But sometimes Outlook does not open due to some problems. Many users get the error message cannot start Microsoft Outlook. If you are also facing the same error message, then try to open Outlook in Safe Mode.
In this post, we will discuss Outlook Safe Mode, the difference between Outlook Safe mode and Normal mode. We'll also learn how to start Outlook in Safe Mode. If you are also facing a similar error and looking for an easy solution, then this post will be helpful for you.
What is Outlook Safe Mode?
Microsoft Outlook Safe Mode is a feature. With the help of this, you can open email programs with limited features and no plug-ins or add-ins. Using this feature, you can troubleshoot Outlook issues.
The Outlook Safe Mode feature can be helpful if your device runs malicious files, add-ins, or processes that prevent you from using it.
Difference between Outlook Safe mode and Normal mode
The main difference between Outlook Safe Mode and Normal Mode is that Normal Mode is the default working mode. Using Normal Mode, you can access all Outlook features, plug-ins, and extensions. Whereas Outlook Safe Mode is a diagnostic mode, which is used to fix or troubleshoot problems.
How to start Outlook in Safe Mode?
There are various methods available to run Outlook in Safe Mode. Here we will discuss all of them. You can choose any method at your convenience.
Method 1: Start Outlook in Safe Mode using Run Command
- Click on the start and click on Run (Use Window Key + R)
- Type outlook.exe /safe
- Click on the OK button to launch safe mode
Method 2: Using the hold Ctrl option
- Hold the Ctrl button on your Keyboard
- Double click on the Outlook shortcut
- Hold the Ctrl key until the popup will come up. Outlook will ask You’re holding down the CTRL key. Do you want to start Outlook in safe mode?
- Click on the Yes button
Method 3: Run Outlook in Safe Mode using Outlook Safe Mode Command
If you know the Outlook Exe file location, you can also use the Command prompt.
- Open Command Prompt
- Type Outlook Exe file location
- Type /safe after the location
Note: XX is your Outlook version number. If you are using Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, you can use the below-mentioned command.
Outlook Safe Mode command for Outlook 2019 and 2016
- 32-bit: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16\outlook.exe" /safe
- 32-bit (alternative): "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\outlook.exe" /safe
- 64-bit: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16\outlook.exe" /safe
Open Outlook 2013 in Safe Mode
- 32-bit: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\outlook.exe" /safe
- 64-bit: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15\outlook.exe" /safe
Open Outlook 2010 in Safe Mode
- 32-bit: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\outlook.exe" /safe
- 64-bit: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\outlook.exe" /safe
In this post, we discussed Outlook Safe Mode and its benefits. We also discussed different methods to start Outlook in Safe Mode. If you face an error message that cannot start Microsoft Outlook, you can follow the above methods. I hope this post will help you.