MDB is a database file created by Microsoft Access, a popular desktop relational database program. This file contains the database structure and database entries. MDBs also store queries, stored procedures, etc. MS Access 2003 and earlier versions use MDB as the default database file. However, like any other file, MDB files are prone to corruption. Various scenarios make MDB files inaccessible or corrupted.
In this post, we will learn the reasons behind MDB file corruption and how to repair MDB files. If you have a corrupt MDB file and looking for an easy solution to repair corrupt access database files, this post will help you.
Reasons behind MDB file corruption
There are many reasons why MDB files get corrupted. We have listed some of the main causes of Access MDB corruption.
Bad sectors on hard drive: If your hard drive has some bad sectors and the Access MDB is stored on those sectors, the file may be corrupted.
Sudden power outage: If you are working with an MDB file and suddenly there is a power outage, the file is more likely to get corrupted.
Virus or malware attack: If you have a virus or malware on your system, it can damage the MDB and other files.
Improper exit: If you have MS Access open or are using or working with MDB files, shutting down the PC without closing the application can corrupt the files.
Frequent edits in MEMO fields: If data in MEMO fields are frequently added, changed, or deleted, it can corrupt the design or structure of the database and corrupt your Access database.
Common error messages displayed when an MDB file is corrupted
The following error message may appear on your screen due to file or database corruption in your MS Access application.
- Record(s) cannot be read; no read permission on 'xxxx'.
- Microsoft Access has detected corruption in this file.
- Unrecognized database format 'filepath\filename.mdb.'
- The database 'filepath\filename.mdb' needs to be repaired or isn't a database file.
- The Microsoft Jet database engine could not find the object 'xxxx.' Make sure the object exists and that you spell its name and the path name correctly.
How to repair MDB files?
You can use manual solutions or a third-party MDB repair tool to repair access database files. Here we will use the best manual methods to fix corrupt Access database files. We will also use the MDB file repair tool to repair Access files.
Instant Solution - SysCurve Access Repair Tool
Quickly repair MDB and ACCDB files.
Method 1: Repair MDB file using Compact and Repair Tool
MS Access has a built-in repair tool that can be used to repair MDB database files. To use it, follow the steps below.
- Launch MS Access
- Go to the Database Tools tab.
- Select the Compact and Repair Database option.
- Select the database file you want to repair and click on the Compact button.
- Click on the Compact button.
- Enter a name and provide a location to save the file
- Click on the Save button
Method 2: Repair MDB files using the MDB Repair tool
Here, we are going to use SysCurve MDB Repair Tool. With its help, you can quickly repair corrupt Access database files. The software also offers a free trial version. To run this method, follow the steps below.
- Download, install and open the MDB repair tool on your Windows computer.
- Click the Browse button and select the corrupted MDB file.
- Select the Scan for Deleted Records checkbox and click the Repair button
- After the repair process, the software will display a message. Click the OK button to close the message.
- Select a repaired table and other database objects to see a preview within the software window.
- Click the Save button and select destination options as desired. You can select either the Default Location of File or the Select New Folder option.
- Click the OK button to start the export process.
- Once the saving process is complete, you will find the repaired file at your chosen location.
Other Helpful Features
- Repair MDB and ACCDB files
- Scan for deleted records
- Repair split database
- Preview database objects
- Repair password-protected forms
- Supports all versions of MS Access
- Compatible with Windows OS
Frequently Asked Questions
Does this software fix the 'unrecognized database format' error?
Yes. With the help of the MDB repair tool, you can fix the 'unrecognized database format' error.
Does this tool have a file search option?
Yes. The software has a search option. With its help, you can quickly locate MDB and ACCDB files in the selected drive.
Can I use this tool to repair forms of corrupted MDB files?
Yes. With the help of the MDB file repair tool, you can repair corrupt MDB file forms.
Can I preview the repaired Access database file using this tool?
Yes. With the help of this software, you can view the repaired Access database file within the software window.
Does this tool come with a free demo version?
Yes. SysCurve MDB Repair tool comes with a free trial version. The demo version allows you to repair the MDB and view the repaired database within the software window. To save the repaired files, you need to purchase the full version of the MDB File Repair tool.
Are there free MDB repair tools?
No. There is no free tool to repair MDB files. You can use the manual solution to fix corrupt Access database files. However, the manual method is time-consuming and solves minor issues. If you're looking for an easy way to accomplish this task, try the SysCurve MDB file repair tool.