PST or Personal Storage Table is an Outlook data file. MS Outlook uses this file format to store email messages, calendars, contacts, and tasks on your computer. Some account types, such as POP accounts, store user information in an Outlook data file (.pst). In Outlook 2013 and earlier versions, IMAP accounts also use PST files.
Outlook PST file is also used to back up data items. Using PST, you can also import emails, calendars, contacts, and tasks from any other PST. But you can only access the PST file item on the computer where the file is saved. However, there are many situations when PST files get corrupted and damaged easily. Corruption in the PST file makes Outlook data items inaccessible.
In this post, we will learn about the reasons behind PST file corruption and how to repair Outlook PST files. If you have a damaged PST file and want to recover data from corrupted PST, then this post will help you.
Instant Solution - SysCurve Outlook PST Repair Tool
Repair PST file. Convert recovered PST data to PST, EML, MSG, HTML, and other file formats.
Causes of PST File Corruption
PST is a sensitive file. Any interruption in the resource while updating a file can cause corruption. Apart from this, there are many other reasons when Outlook data files can get corrupted or damaged.
- Network Failure
- Improper closing of Outlook
- Virus Attack
- Sudden Power Cut
- Bad sectors in hard drive
- Large-sized PST file
- Software Failure
How to Repair PST?
To repair Outlook PST, you can use the Inbox Repair Tool (SCANPST.EXE) or a third-party Outlook PST Repair Tool. Both are useful. Here, we will discuss both the solutions to fix PST file corruption.
Note: Before performing any method to repair the PST file, back up your data.
Method 1: Repair Outlook PST File Using SCANPST.EXE
- Close MS Outlook
- Go to one of the following file locations:
- Outlook 2019: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16
- Outlook 2016: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16
- Outlook 2013: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15
- Outlook 2010: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14
- Outlook 2007: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12
- Open SCANPST.EXE
- Click the Browse button and select the corrupted or damaged PST file
- Click on the Start button to start the scan process
- If the scan finds errors, click the Repair button
- Once the repair process is complete, click on the OK button
- After that, start Outlook with the profile attached to the PST file.
Note: Inbox Repair Tool (SCANPST.EXE) is suitable for minor level corruption. With this utility, you cannot fix high-level corruption.
Method 2: Repair Outlook PST Using Outlook PST Recovery Software
Here, we are going to use SysCurve Outlook PST Repair Tool. It is one of the most preferred tools that can quickly fix corrupted PST. After that, you can store the recovered data in PST format.
- Download and install the SysCurve Outlook PST Recovery tool
- Click on the Add PST Files, select PST files, and click on the OK button
- Once the loading process is complete, select any item to view the message
- Select any folder and right-click on the selected folder
- Select Save all files in Outlook PST option and click on the Next button
- Choose Export to Create New PST File option and provide a location where you want to save the resultant PST file
- Click on the Next and Finish button.
Other helpful features
- Repair corrupted/inaccessible Outlook PST File
- Preview all emails with attachments
- Save recovered PST data to PST, EML, MSG, HTML, and other file formats
- Import PST to Office 365 and Live Exchange
- Maintain folder hierarchy
- Perform selective conversion
- Set PST file password
- Split the resulting PST file
- Support MS Outlook 2019 and earlier versions
- Compatible with all Windows versions, including Windows 10
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best PST repair tool?
SysCurve Outlook PST Repair tool is the best PST repair tool. With the help of this tool, you can quickly repair and recover PST file data. After that, you can export the recovered data to PST, EML, MSG, and other file formats. The trial version of this software allows you to save the first 50 items per folder.
Where are Outlook PST files stored?
To find the Outlook PST file location, follow the steps below.
- Open MS Outlook and go to the File Option
- Select Account Settings and choose the Account Settings option
- From the Account settings window, select the Data Files tab
- After that, Outlook will show all files locations
How do I repair a corrupt Outlook PST file?
To repair a corrupt Outlook PST, you can use Inbox Repair Tool (SCANPST.exe) or third-party Outlook PST repair software. If your file is highly damaged, go with the SysCurve Outlook PST Repair Tool. Using this tool, you can quickly fix corrupt PST and recover data from it.
What happens when SCANPST doesn't work?
If SCANPST.exe fails to repair your PST file, you can go with the SysCurve Outlook PST Repair Tool. This tool is built with advanced algorithms that repair highly corrupted PST files and recover all data from PST files. After the scan process, you can save the recovered data in PST, EML, MSG, and other file formats.