Jun 12, 2022 | Email Conversion
How to Split PST File into Smaller Files?
By Deepak Singh Bisht
PST or Personal Storage Table is a popular file used by MS Outlook to store Outlook items such as emails, calendars, contacts, journals, and tasks. The size of the PST file varies in different versions of MS Outlook. But when the size of the PST file exceeds a size limit, the user has to face problems like slowdown of Outlook performance, data loss, etc. It also increases the chances of file corruption. To get rid of this, the user has to split the PST into several smaller PST files.
In this post, we will discuss manual and third-party solutions to split PST files. If you have a large size PST file and you are looking for the best way to split PST into smaller files, then this post will help you.
How to manually split a PST file?
To split a PST file manually, you can use the following method. Using these methods, you can split PST files in Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, and earlier versions.
Method 1: Split PST using Import/Export process
- Open MS Outlook and go to the File
- Select Account Settings and click on the Account Settings
- From the Account Settings window, select Data Files Tab and click on the Add button
- Enter the file name, select Outlook Data File (.pst) from the Save as type list, and click on the OK button
- Go to the File option, select Open & Export, and choose the Import/Export option
- In Import and Export Wizard, select Export to a file and click on the Next button
- In Export to a File window, select Outlook Data File (.pst), and click on the Next button
- Select the folders you want to export, check the Include subfolders option, and click the Next button
- Click on the Browse button and provide a location where you want to save the exported file.
- Select the Do not export duplicate items option and click the Finish button.
Method 2: Reduce PST file size using Archive Wizard
- Open MS Outlook and go to the File option
- Select Info, click on the Tools and choose Clean Up Old Items option
- From the Archive screen, select a folder, choose Archive this folder and subfolders option
- Select a date from the Archive items older list
- Click on the Browse button to save the Archive file and click on the OK button.
Method 3: Split PST file using Move to Folder option
- Launch MS Outlook and go to the File option
- Click on the Account Settings and select Account Settings
- From the Account Settings window, select the Data Files tab and click on the Add to create a new PST file
- Go to the Home tab, open the default PST file and select the items you want to move to a new PST file.
- Click on Move and select the Copy to Folder option.
- Choose the PST file so that you can transfer the selected items
- After that, you can delete the copied item from the default PST to reduce the file size.
To split the PST, you can use the above solutions. But the manual methods are lengthy and time-consuming. It requires technical expertise and has a high potential for data loss. If you are looking for the best way to split PST files, use SysCurve PST Management Suite.
Method 4: Split PST using Split PST tool
Here we are going to use SysCurve PST Management Suite. It is a powerful tool that provides advanced features. Using this tool, you can split PST, merge PST, compress PST, remove PST password, and remove duplicate items from PST password. To perform this task, follow the steps below.
- Download and Install the software
- Launch the tool and click on the PST Split option
- Click on the Browse button, select PST file, click on the OK and Next buttons.
- Provide a location where you want to save the resultant PST
- Choose Split options by Size, Date, Year, selected folder in single PST, selected folder in multiple PST as a per your requirement.
- Click on the Next button to start the process.
- Once done, click on the Finish button.
Other helpful features
- Split PST file into Smaller Files
- Merge two or more PST files
- Compact and compress PST file
- Remove duplicate items from the PST file
- Recover and remove PST file password
- Process first 50 items per folder
- Compatible with Windows 10, 8, 7, etc.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I split a PST file into smaller parts?
If you are searching for the best way to split a PST file into smaller parts, then choose SysCurve PST Management Suite. With the help of this tool, you can quickly split PST files into smaller PST files. This tool is known for its advanced features such as PST Merge, PST Split, PST Password recovery, and Compress PST.
How do I split a PST file by year?
By using the SysCurve PST Management Suite, you can split a PST file by year. To perform this task, follow the steps below.
- Open the PST Management Suite and select PST Split option
- Click on the Browse button and select the PST file that you want to split
- Click on the OK and Next button
- Select Target folder where you want to save the resultant PST file
- Choose By Year as a Split option and enter the year
- Click on the Next button to start the process
- Once the process is complete, click on the Finish button.