Dec 03, 2021 | Email Conversion
How to Import PST to Thunderbird – A Complete Guide
By Deepak Singh Bisht
In this post, we will discuss why PST to Thunderbird and how to import PST to Thunderbird manually. We will also learn the best way to convert PST to Thunderbird. If you have a corrupted PST file and want to import the recovered data into Thunderbird, then this post will be helpful for you.
Why PST to Thunderbird?
MS Outlook and Thunderbird are both popular email clients. Individual and professional users use these email programs to send, receive and manage email. But there are many reasons like a job change, data migration, etc. When users need to convert PST to Thunderbird supported file format. So that user can access his data in Thunderbird.
How to import PST to Thunderbird?
To import PST to Thunderbird, you can use manual methods or third-party PST to Thunderbird converter tools. Here we will discuss both the solutions. We will also learn how to repair PST files and convert PST to Thunderbird. You can choose any of these solutions as per your convenience.
Note: Before performing any method, prepare a backup.
Instant Solution - SysCurve Outlook PST Repair Tool
Repair and convert PST to EML format. After conversion, open EML files directly with Thunderbird.
Method 1: Import PST to Thunderbird using the Default Program option
If you have MS Outlook and Thunderbird installed on the same machine, you can use this method to import Outlook PST to Thunderbird.
- Go to the Settings and select the Default Program option
- Click on the Email and select Outlook (Desktop) from the Choose an app list
- Start Thunderbird and click on the Hamburger icon
- Select Tools and choose the Import option
- Select Import Everything or choose the Mail option as per your requirement and click on the Next button
- From the select the type of file, select Outlook and click on the Next button
- Click on the Finish button to complete the process.
It is a simple way to import PST to Thunderbird free. But in some versions, this method does not work properly.
Method 2: Migrate PST to Thunderbird using Google Takeout
In this method, we will configure Gmail in Outlook and then migrate emails from Outlook to Gmail. After that, we'll use Google Takeout. We have divided this process into six parts. Follow the steps given below to do this method.
Step 1: Enable IMAP protocol from Gmail
- Sign in to your Gmail account, click on the Setting icon and select the Settings option
- Go to the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab
- Enable IMAP and click on the Save Changes button.
Step 2: Allow less secure apps
- Go to the https://myaccount.google.com/
- Select Security from the left sidebar and select the Less secure app access
- Enable Less secure app access option
Step 3: Configure Gmail in Outlook
- Start MS Outlook and go to the File menu
- Click on the Account Settings and select the Account Settings option
- Under the E-mail, click on the New
- Enter Name, Gmail address, password, re-type password and click on the Next button
- Once the verification process is complete, click on the Finish button.
Step 4: Migrate emails from Outlook to Gmail
- Select Gmail mailbox in Outlook and right-click on the selected mailbox
- Select the New Folder option and enter a folder name
- Select the Outlook emails you want to import and move selected emails to the folder that you created earlier
- Go to Gmail and refresh the page, and you will find emails moved to your Gmail accounts.
Step 5: Export emails from Gmail using Google Takeout
- Sign in to your Gmail account, open a new browser tab, and open Google Takeout (https://takeout.google.com/settings/takeout)
- From Create a new export, select the Deselect all option.
- Select Gmail and click on the Next Step button.
- In the Choose file type, frequency & destination, choose Export once as frequency.
- Select the file type as .zip and choose the file size split option as per your requirement
- Click on the Create export button.
- Once your data is ready for export, you will receive an email.
- After receiving the email, click on the download link to start downloading the exported data.
Step 6: Import MBOX to Thunderbird
- Unzip the folder you downloaded
- Start Thunderbird, click on the hamburger icon and select the Add-ons option.
- Find ImportExportTools NG and click on the Add to Thunderbird button
- A popup will ask for permission, click on the Add button, and restart Thunderbird
- Right-click on the Local Folder and select the New Folder option
- Enter a folder name and click on the Create Folder button
- Right-click on the folder you just created and select the ImportExportTools NG option
- Select the Import MBOX file option, choose Import directly one or more MBOX files, and click on the OK button
- Go to the Unzip Folder and Select MBOX File and Click on Open Button
- Once the process is complete, click on the Finish button.
With the help of these solutions, you can import PST to Thunderbird for free. However, these methods are long and require technical expertise to perform. If you are looking for a quick solution, you can use a third-party PST to Thunderbird converter tool.
Method 3: Convert PST to Thunderbird using PST Converter
Here we are going to use the SysCurve Outlook PST Repair tool. It is one of the most preferred software. The software also works as a PST to Thunderbird converter. With the help of this tool, you can repair corrupt PST files and convert PST to EML, MSG, and other file formats. Using this tool, we are going to convert PST to EML format. By doing this conversion, we can access the converted data in both Thunderbird and MS Outlook as both support EML files.
- Download and install SysCurve Outlook PST Repair Tool
- Open the tool and click on the Add PST Files option.
- Click on the Add button, select PST file and click on the OK button. If you do not know the location of the PST file, use the search option. The software will find your PST files and list them.
- Click on any folder to see your emails (optional)
- Select MSG/EML option, choose folders you want to convert, and click on the Next button
- Click on the Browse button and select a target folder to save the converted EML files.
- From the Save type drop-down, select EML and click on the Next button.
- Set filters if you want else click on the Next button
- Once the process is complete, click on the OK and Finish buttons.
With the help of this tool, you can quickly convert PST to Thunderbird. The software also comes with a free trial version. Using the free demo version, you can repair PST files, preview PST file data, and convert and export the first 50 items per folder for free.
Other helpful features
- Repair corrupted or damaged PST file
- Convert PST to EML, MSG, HTML, RTF, and other file formats.
- Migrate PST to Office 365 and live Exchange Server
- Preview all PST file data
- Support large-size PST files
- Maintain original folder structure
- Free PST to Thunderbird conversion of the first 50 items from each folder
- Support all versions of MS Outlook, including Outlook 2019 and 2016.
- Compatible with all editions of Windows OS, including Windows 10
Frequently Asked Questions
How to import PST to Thunderbird without Outlook?
To import PST to Thunderbird without Outlook, you can use the SysCurve Outlook PST Repair tool. Using this software, you can quickly convert PST to EML format. After the conversion process, you can open the converted EML files with Thunderbird. The main advantage of this conversion is you can open EML files with Outlook and other email clients as well.
How to convert PST to Thunderbird for free?
You can use the above-mentioned manual methods to convert PST to Thunderbird for free. However, manual solutions are long and require technical expertise to do so. If you have a small data set, you can also use the free demo version of the SysCurve Outlook PST Repair tool. With the help of the trial version, you can convert PST to Thunderbird and save the first 50 items from each folder for free.
Can I repair the corrupted PST file with this tool?
Yes. The advanced algorithms of the SysCurve Outlook PST Repair tool quickly act on the corrupted PST file and recover all data from it. After that, you can convert the recovered data to PST, EML, MSG, HTML, RTF, and other helpful file formats.