MBOX and EML are well-known file formats. Many major email clients use these file formats, and some email programs use both files to save user mailbox data. But compare to EML, MBOX has some downside that pushes users to Convert MBOX to EML format.
In this post, we will discuss why you should convert MBOX to EML files and how to perform MBOX to EML conversion. If you are the one who is looking for a quick solution, then this post will be beneficial for you.
Why convert MBOX to EML?
MBOX is used by many email programs, but this file not compatible with MS Outlook and Windows Live Mail. On the other hand, EML files support all major email clients. You can open the EML files with modern web browsers and text editors like TextEdit, Notepad, etc.
The main difference is that the MBOX export every folder as a separate file, whereas EML saves each email as a separate file. By using the EML file, you can easily save the individual message, but it is not possible with the MBOX file.
How to Convert MBOX to EML?
To convert MBOX to EML file format, you can try the manual or third-party solution. Both are very useful and effective. However, the third-party software provides quick and safe conversion, and it does not require any other software for conversion. On the other hand, the manual process is long and requires some technical expertise. Here we will learn both methods to import MBOX to EML format.
Manual method to convert MBOX to EML format
To convert MBOX to EML manually, you need Mozilla Thunderbird on your system. If you do not have Thunderbird, then download and install.
Step 1: Import MBOX to Thunderbird using ImportExporttools add-on
- Launch Mozilla Thunderbird
- Go to Tools and select Add-ons
- Search ImportExportTools and click on the Add to Thunderbird
- Restart the Mozilla Thunderbird
- Select Mailbox folder and right-click on the selected folder
- Select ImportExportTools and choose Import MBOX file
- Select Import directly one or more MBOX files and click on the OK button
- Now, select the MBOX mailbox, which you want to import, and click on the OK button.
After the process, the MBOX mailbox will be imported successfully.
Step 2: Convert MBOX to EML using ImportExporttools add-on
- Select MBOX mailbox that you imported and right-click on the selected mailbox
- Select ImportExportTools and choose Export all messages in the folder option
- Choose EML format and provide a location where you want to save the EML files.
- Click on the Save button to start MBOX to EML conversion.
After the process, you will get all resultant EML files inside the folder.
By using this method, you can convert EML to PST manually. But, this method is long and requires some technical expertise. It also requires Mozilla Thunderbird and ImportExportTools Add-on.
Convert MBOX to EML using MBOX Converter
For this method, we are going to use SysCurve MBOX Converter. This is one of the best tools that easily convert MBOX to EML, PST, MSG, HTML, RTF, MHTML, and other file formats.
- Download and install the software
- Launch the MBOX Converter tool and select Browse option
- Select MBOX files and click on OK to start loading process
- Click on the Export option and select folders which you want to convert
- Choose EML as an Export option and set a destination path to Save the file
- Click on the Export button to start MBOX to EML conversion
- Once the process gets complete, click on the OK button.
The software also comes with a free demo version, which allows users to export the first 20 items from each folder. Before purchasing the software, use the free demo version.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I open the resultant EML file with Windows Live Mail?
Yes, you can open these converted EML files with Windows Live Mail. You can also open these files with any modern web browser.
Can I perform the selective conversion with the help of this MBOX Converter?
Yes, you can perform the selective conversion. The tool also provides advanced Search and Filters options, which are very useful for selective conversion.