Top Methods to Convert OST to MBOX format
May 19, 2021 | Posted by: Deepak Singh Bisht
OST and MBOX are well-known file formats. Outlook uses the OST file to save a copy of the exchange mailbox, whereas many major emails clients used MBOX files to save user data on the local machine. But OST file has many limitations because of which users need to convert OST to other file formats.
Here we will discuss why you need to convert OST to MBOX and how to convert OST to MBOX format. If you are also looking to import OST to MBOX, then this method will be very helpful for you.
Why need to convert OST to MBOX?
MBOX file is used by many major email clients like Apple Mail, Netscape Mail, Mozilla Thunderbird, Eudora, Opera Mail, Entourage, etc. On the other hand, the OST file support MS Outlook. Most of the MBOX email programs are free, whereas Outlook is a paid email program.
How to convert OST to MBOX manually?
There is no direct method available to convert OST to MBOX manually. To perform the manual process, you need to convert OST to PST, and after that, you can easily import PST to MBOX format.
Step 1: Convert OST to PST
- Launch MS Outlook
- Click on the File menu and click on the Open & Export option
- Select Import/Export option, choose Export to a file from Import and Export Wizard and click on the Next
- Select Outlook Data File (.pst) from Export to a File window and click on the Next button
- Select folders which you want to Export and click on the Next button
- Provide a path to save Exported file and click on the Finish button
- Set Password and click on OK (optional)
Step 2: Import PST to Thunderbird
- Launch Mozilla Thunderbird
- Go to the Tools and select the Import option
- From the Import window, select Mail and click on the Next
- Select Outlook file type and click on the Next
- The Import wizard will process the emails and display the results
- Click on the Finish button
All emails will be automatically stored in the Outlook Import folder under the local folder directory.
Note: The manual methods require technical expertise, and sometimes the above method fails to import PST to Thunderbird. In such a case, you can use the OST Converter tool.
Convert OST to MBOX using OST Converter
Here we are going to use the SysCurve OST Converter tool . This is one of the best tools that quickly convert OST to MBOX format and provide you a risk-free conversion.
- Download and install the software
- Open OST Converter and click on the Add file option to select OST File
- Click on the Ok button to start the loading process
- After the process, the software will manage your data and create a preview mode inside the software window
- Click on the Export option and select Export All folders option
- Choose Single MBOX for each OST file or Separate MBOX file for each folder as an Export option and provide a location to save the log file
- Provide a destination path to save the resultant file and click on the Next button to start OST to MBOX conversion.
Other helpful features of OST to MBOX Converter
- Convert OST to MBOX, PST, MSG, EML, EMLX, HTML, MHTML format.
- Convert OST to Office 365 and Live Exchange Server.
- Generate a complete preview of your data inside the software dashboard.
- Quickly scan and repairs the corrupted or damaged OST files.
- Maintain the metadata properties like To, From, Subject, Cc, Bcc, etc.
- Support all versions of MS Outlook, including 2019.
- Support all Windows OS like Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, etc.
- Free OST to MBOX conversion for the first 20 items from each folder.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I convert inaccessible OST to MBOX format?
Yes, the OST Converter will quickly process the OST files and recover all data from it, and after that, you can convert recovered data into MBOX format.
How to open converted MBOX files in Mozilla Thunderbird?
First, copy the resultant MBOX file and paste it on the default folder location of Mozilla Thunderbird. After that, open the Thunderbird to access the MBOX file. To open MBOX in Thunderbird, you can also use the ImportExportTools Add-on.