Dealing with email data can be complicated, especially when you need to manage, backup, or switch email clients. If you're using Microsoft Outlook, you may have encountered OST (Offline Storage Table) files, which are used to store copies of your mailbox data. Conversely, MBOX is a file format that many other email clients such as Mozilla Thunderbird, Apple Mail, Eudora, and Entourage utilize. Both OST and MBOX play crucial roles in their respective email environments. However, if you want to make a transition from an Outlook-based email setup to an MBOX supported email client, you'll need to convert OST files to MBOX format. This blog post provides an in-depth guide to making this process less daunting.
Why Convert OST to MBOX?
OST is an offline replica of your Exchange Server mailbox. It allows you to work offline and then synchronize your work when you're back online. However, these files are sensitive and can get easily corrupted. Moreover, other than Outlook, no other email client supports OST files. Therefore, to access data in Thunderbird, Apple Mail, Eudora, and Entourage, users need to convert OST to MBOX.
How to convert OST to MBOX?
Converting OST to MBOX can be achieved through both manual methods and third-party software solutions. We'll delve into both options below.
Method 1: Import OST to Thunderbird
To import OST to Thunderbird, you need to convert the OST to a PST file format first. Once done, you can then import this PST file into Thunderbird. Follow these detailed steps:
1: Convert OST to PST
- Launch MS Outlook.
- Go to the File menu and click on the Open & Export option.
- Select the Import/Export option, choose Export to a file from Import and Export Wizard, and click on the Next button.
- Select Outlook Data File (.pst) from Export to a File window and click on the Next button.
- Select folders which you want to Export and click on the Next button.
- Provide a path to save PST and select the include subfolder checkbox.
- Click on the Finish button.
- Set Password and click on OK (optional).
Step 2: Import PST to Thunderbird
- Launch Outlook.
- Make Outlook the default program for email.
- Launch Mozilla Thunderbird.
- Go to the Tools and select the Import option.
- From the Import window, select Mail and click on the Next button.
- Select Outlook and click on the Next button to start the import process.
- Once the Import process complete, then imported emails will be displayed.
- Click on the Finish button.
After the import process, all emails will be stored in the Outlook Import folder under the Local Folders directory.
Note: This process can be time-consuming and complicated. In certain instances, Thunderbird might not find the emails to import. In such a case, a third-party OST converter or OST to MBOX converter can be a more effective solution.
Convert OST to MBOX using OST to MBOX Converter
Here we are going to use the SysCurve OST Converter. It is one of the best tools that convert OST to MBOX format and provide you a risk-free conversion.
- Download and install the software.
- Open OST Converter and click on the Add file option to select OST.
- Click on the Ok button to start the loading process.
- After the process, the software will manage your data and create a preview mode inside the software window.
- Click on the Export option and select the Export All folders option.
- Choose Single MBOX for each OST file or Separate MBOX file for each folder as an Export option and provide a location to save the log file
- Provide a destination path to save the resultant file and click on the Next button to convert OST to MBOX.
Other helpful features
- Convert OST to MBOX, PST, MSG, EML, EMLX, HTML, MHTML format.
- Import OST to Office 365 and Live Exchange Server.
- Generate a complete preview of your data inside the software dashboard.
- Quickly scan and repairs the corrupted or damaged OST files.
- Maintain the metadata properties like To, From, Subject, Cc, Bcc, etc.
- Support all versions of MS Outlook, including 2019.
- Support all Windows OS like Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, etc.
- Free OST to MBOX conversion for the first 20 items from each folder.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I convert a damaged OST to MBOX?
Yes, the SysCurve OST Converter can process OST files, quickly recover data from them, and then convert the recovered data to MBOX format.
How to open converted MBOX file in Thunderbird?
To open MBOX files in Thunderbird, follow the steps below.
- Start Thunderbird and click on Tools.
- Select ImportExportTools and choose Import MBOX file.
- From the MBOX Import window, choose the Import directly one or more MBOX files option, and click on the OK button.
- Select MBOX files, which you want to import.
- Click on the Open button to start the import process.
Can I convert OST to Apple Mail using this software?
Yes, the SysCurve OST Converter can also convert OST files to the MBOX format compatible with Apple Mail. After the conversion, you can easily import the converted MBOX files into Apple Mail.
The Final Word
Switching between email systems can often seem complicated, but with the right tools and guide, it becomes a breeze. Converting OST to MBOX allows you to access your important emails on a wide range of email clients other than Outlook. The SysCurve OST Converter is a tool that can help you with this, providing an efficient, quick, and risk-free conversion. Remember, managing emails doesn't have to be a daunting task - the right knowledge and tools can make all the difference!