Sep 23, 2021 | Email Conversion
Top Methods to Convert OST to MBOX format
By Deepak Singh Bisht
OST or Offline Storage Table is a well-known file format. Outlook uses the OST file to save a copy of the exchange mailbox. By using OST files, users can work in offline mode. But OST file has many limitations due to which users have to convert OST to MBOX or other file formats.
Here we will discuss why users do OST to MBOX conversion. We'll also learn how to convert OST to MBOX format. If you are looking for a quick solution, then this post will be beneficial for you.
Why OST to MBOX?
OST is a replica of the Exchange Server. With the help of this file, the user can work offline. But it is a sensitive file and easily gets corrupted. Apart from Outlook, no other email client supports OST files. To access data in Thunderbird, Apple Mail, Eudora, and Entourage, users perform OST to MBOX conversion.
How to convert OST to MBOX?
To convert OST to MBOX, you can try manual and third-party OST converter. You can choose any solution. Here we will discuss both methods.
Method 1: Import OST to Thunderbird
To import OST to Thunderbird, first, you need to convert OST to PST. After that, you can import the PST into Thunderbird. For this method, you must have both Outlook and Thunderbird installed on your machine. To perform this method, follow the steps given below.
Step 1: Convert OST to PST
- Launch MS Outlook.
- Go to the File menu and click on the Open & Export option.
- Select the Import/Export option, choose Export to a file from Import and Export Wizard, and click on the Next button.
- Select Outlook Data File (.pst) from Export to a File window and click on the Next button.
- Select folders which you want to Export and click on the Next button.
- Provide a path to save PST and select the include subfolder checkbox.
- Click on the Finish button.
- Set Password and click on OK (optional).
Step 2: Import PST to Thunderbird
- Launch Outlook.
- Make Outlook the default program for email.
- Launch Mozilla Thunderbird.
- Go to the Tools and select the Import option.
- From the Import window, select Mail and click on the Next button.
- Select Outlook and click on the Next button to start the import process.
- Once the Import process complete, then imported emails will be displayed.
- Click on the Finish button.
After the import process, all emails will be stored in the Outlook Import folder under the Local Folders directory.
Note: This process is lengthy and takes a lot of time to do. In some cases, Thunderbird cannot find mail to import. In such a case, you can use a third-party OST converter or OST to MBOX converter.
Convert OST to MBOX using OST to MBOX Converter
Here we are going to use the SysCurve OST Converter. It is one of the best tools that convert OST to MBOX format and provide you a risk-free conversion.
- Download and install the software.
- Open OST Converter and click on the Add file option to select OST.
- Click on the Ok button to start the loading process.
- After the process, the software will manage your data and create a preview mode inside the software window.
- Click on the Export option and select the Export All folders option.
- Choose Single MBOX for each OST file or Separate MBOX file for each folder as an Export option and provide a location to save the log file
- Provide a destination path to save the resultant file and click on the Next button to convert OST to MBOX.
Other helpful features of OST to MBOX Converter
- Convert OST to MBOX, PST, MSG, EML, EMLX, HTML, MHTML format.
- Import OST to Office 365 and Live Exchange Server.
- Generate a complete preview of your data inside the software dashboard.
- Quickly scan and repairs the corrupted or damaged OST files.
- Maintain the metadata properties like To, From, Subject, Cc, Bcc, etc.
- Support all versions of MS Outlook, including 2019.
- Support all Windows OS like Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, etc.
- Free OST to MBOX conversion for the first 20 items from each folder.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I convert a damaged OST to MBOX?
Yes, OST Converter processes OST files quickly and recovers all data from them. After that, you can convert the recovered data to MBOX format.
How to open converted MBOX file in Thunderbird?
To open MBOX files in Thunderbird, follow the steps below.
- Start Thunderbird and click on Tools.
- Select ImportExportTools and choose Import MBOX file.
- From the MBOX Import window, choose the Import directly one or more MBOX files option, and click on the OK button.
- Select MBOX files, which you want to import.
- Click on the Open button to start the import process.
Can I convert OST to Apple Mail using this software?
Yes, this software also acts as an OST to Apple Mail converter. Using this tool, you can convert OST to Apple Mail MBOX format. After the conversion process, you can import the converted MBOX files to Apple Mail.