Jun 13, 2022 | Email Conversion
How to repair MP4 video - Step by Step Guide
By Deepak Singh Bisht
MP4 is the most popular video format. It is lightweight and offers the highest video resolution and audio quality. The MP4 format is compatible with most video players. Many people use this format to download and stream videos from the Internet. MP4 format is considered the best format for YouTube as it provides the highest quality video and a great viewing experience.
However, like other files and formats, MP4 files are prone to corruption and can be a serious problem without backups.
This post will show you how to repair MP4 videos. You will also learn the best way to fix corrupted MP4 video files. If you have inaccessible or corrupted MP4 files, this post will help you.
Reasons for MP4 corruption
There are various reasons why mp4 videos do not play. We have listed some of the main reasons for MP4 corruption.
- Error reading or writing data
- Virus or malware attacks
- Video header corruption
- Sudden shutdown
- Incomplete media transfer
- Bad sectors on the Hard drive
Instant Solution - SysCurve Video Repair tool
Quickly repair MP4, AVI, FLV, MKV, MOV, and other video files.
How to repair corrupt MP4 files?
To repair MP4 video, you can use manual methods or third-party MP4 repair software. If manual methods fail to fix corrupt MP4 files, try the SysCurve MP4 Repair tool. With the help of this tool, you can quickly repair MP4, AVI, MKV, MOV, FLV, and other video file formats.
However, if the video isn't playing or you don't see any errors, it's not necessarily corrupted. The problem may be with your device or media player. Therefore, before using MP4 Repair software, use the following troubleshooting methods to fix the corrupted MP4 video.
Note: Before performing any method, prepare a backup.
Open MP4 video in other media players.
MP4 is one of the most popular file formats. Many media players support the MP4 file format. However, there may be technical issues. It's a good idea to use a different player to see if it works.
Convert Video format
Try converting MP4 to AVI or other file formats. After conversion, try to open the converted video file in Media Player. You can also use a VLC media player to convert MP4 to other file formats.
Download MP4 Codecs
If your media player does not have the MP4 codec, you may not be able to play the video file, and you may see an error such as "A codec is required to play this file.". To resolve this issue, download the appropriate MP4 codec.
If the above troubleshooting method fails, you can fix the MP4 video file using the following manual or third-party solutions.
Method 1: Fix MP4 video using VLC Media Player
- Right-click on the damaged MP4 video file and select Rename option
- Change the file format to .avi and press Enter.
- Open the VLC Media Player and click on the Tools option
- Select Preferences option, choose Input/Codecs option
- Go to the damaged or incomplete AVI file and select the Always fix option
- Finally, click on the Save button.
Method 2: Repair MP4 video files using Transcoding
- Open the VLC Media Player
- Go to the Media and select Convert/Save option
- Click on the Add button and select MP4 video
- After selecting the file, click on the Convert/Save button
- To change the profile settings, select the Edit Selected Profile button
- Click on the Browse button and provide a location to save the file
- Finally, click on the Start button
Method 3: Change Video output settings using VLC
- Open VLC Media Player
- Click on the Tools and select the Preferences option
- Select the Video option and choose DirectX (DirectDraw) video output
- Click on the Save button and restart the VLC Player.
Method 4: Repair MP4 Video using the Video Repair tool
Here we are going to use the SysCurve Video Repair tool. It is one of the powerful tools that quickly fix MP4 video files. Using this tool, you can also repair AVI, MPEG, MKV, MOV, FLV, WMV, WEBM, etc. It also comes with a free demo version.
- Download and install SysCurve Video Repair software.
- Click on the Add file and select the damaged MP4 video
- Click on the Repair button to start the repair process
- Once the repair process is complete, click on the Preview to view the repaired video
- Select the file and click on the Save Repaired Files option
- Provide a location to save the resultant file and click on the Save button.
Other helpful features
- Repair MP4, AVI, MKV, FLV, WEBM, F4V, etc.
- Preview repaired video files
- Support large-size video files
- Repair severely corrupted files using the sample files.
- Fix the video corruption issue.
- Support all major media players
- Support Windows 10 and earlier
Frequently Asked Questions
Can the VLC media player repair MP4 files?
Yes. You can use a VLC media player to repair MP4 files. We have explained the manual method above. You can use them to fix corrupted MP4 files. If the manual solution fails, use SysCurve MP4 Repair Tool. With the help of this video repair tool, you can quickly fix corrupted MP4 files.
How do I fix the MP4 video not playing?
Make sure your media player has the correct MP4 codec. Try opening the MP4 video file in another media player. If that doesn't work, use the SysCurve Video Repair tool.
Which is the best MP4 repair tool?
SysCurve Video Repair tool is considered the best tool. It is a powerful tool that quickly repairs corrupted MP4 video files. The software supports 17 video file formats. You can also use this tool to repair MKV, AVI, FLV, WEBM, MOV, and other file formats. The software also comes with a free trial version. You can use the free version to repair video files and view the repaired videos in the software. To export or save the fixed video, you need to purchase the full version of the SysCurve Video Repair tool.