WMV is one of the most popular video formats. WMV video is mainly playable with Windows Media Player. Many people use this format for sharing video purposes. It is a popular format for video streaming. YouTube also supports WMV files.
Like other video formats, WMV video files can get corrupted, blurry, cropped, and have sound lag issues. These videos may not open in the media player, or you may get an error when trying to open them.
Here, we will discuss the most common reasons for WMV corruption and how to repair WMV files. You will also learn the best way to repair WMV video files. If you have inaccessible or corrupted WMV files, this post will help you.
Most common reasons for WMV corruption
There can be many reasons for displaying WMV video error messages. I have listed some of them.
Sudden power outage: If you are working on a WMV file and a sudden power outage occurs, the file is more likely to get corrupted.
Virus or malware attack: If your system is attacked by a virus or malware, your WMV files may be infected. Infection may cause the file to be damaged or inaccessible.
Incomplete transfer: If the WMV file download or transfer process is interrupted, or if your internet connection is not stable, the file may get corrupted.
Remove file extension: If for any reason the .wmv file extension is removed, the video file will not play.
Instant Solution - SysCurve Video Repair tool
Quickly repair MP4, AVI, FLV, MKV, MOV, and other video files.
How to repair WMV video files?
You can repair WMV files using a manual solution or a third-party WMV repair tool. However, if the files are badly damaged, try SysCurve Video Repair Tool. With the help of this tool, you can fix WMV files immediately.
Follow the troubleshooting instructions to resolve the issue before using the manual method or third-party software.
Note: Before performing any method, prepare a backup.
Download the WMV file again
If the download or transfer of WMV video is interrupted, the file may get corrupted. We recommend that you download or transfer the AVI video again.
Open WMV video in other media players.
If the media player fails to play the WMV file, try another media player. You can use VLC, Windows Media Player, etc., to open WMV video files.
Convert WMV to another file format
Try converting WMV to MP4 or other file formats. You can also use VLC or a third-party video converter tool for conversion. After conversion, open the file in your media player.
Download WMV Codec
If your media player can't play WMV files, your media player may not have a supported codec. Try downloading the WMV codec.
Try updating your system video driver using Device Manager. After updating, try playing the WMV video on your player.
If these troubleshooting methods fail, use the following solutions to repair the WMV file.
Method 1: Open corrupted WMV file with VLC Media Player
- Select the corrupted WMV file and right-click on the selected file
- Click on the Open With option.
- Select VLC media player
Method 2: Convert WMV to MP4 using VLC Media Player
- Start VLC Media Player
- Go to the Media Options and select the Convert/Save option
- Click on the Add button, select the corrupted WMV file and click on the Open button
- Go to the Convert/Save dropdown and select the Convert option
- From the profile dropdown, select the Video – H.264 + MP3 (MP4) option
- Specify a location where you want to save the converted files and click the Start button.
Method 3: Repair WMV files using the Video Repair tool
Here we will use the SysCurve Video Repair tool. It is a powerful software that repairs WMV files. Apart from this, you can also repair MP4, MPEG, FLV, MOV, MPEG, MKV, FLV, AVI, WEBM, and more. The software also offers a free trial version.
- Download and install the SysCurve Video Repair tool.
- Click on the Add File, select the WMV video file you want to repair, and click on the OK button.
- Select the file and click on the Repair button to start the repair process
- When the repair process is completed, the software will provide preview options. Click on the Preview to see the repaired video.
- Select the resulting file and click on the Save Repaired File button
- Specify the destination path to save the output file and click the Save button.
Other helpful features
- Repair WMV, AVI, MOV, MKV, MP4, FLV, WEBM, F4V, etc.
- Preview the repaired video file
- Repair highly corrupted video files.
- Fix all types of video corruption issues.
- Simple user interface
- Provide a free demo version
- Support major media players
- Compatible with Windows 10 and earlier
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I open an old WMV file?
You can open Old WMV files with Windows Media Player, Microsoft Movies & TV, Kodi, and VLC Media Player. You can also convert WMV to MP4 or other file formats to make it accessible to all media players.
Which is the best WMV repair tool?
SysCurve Video Repair tool is one of the most preferred tools that quickly fix corrupted WMV files. You can also use this software to repair AVI, MKV, MP4, FLV, MOV, MPEG, and WEBM files. The software also offers a free demo version. You can use the free trial version to repair WMV files and view the repaired videos in the software window.